• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
08 Nov 2021 19:47 - 08 Nov 2021 19:50 #17362 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Dad's New Hangout
We got about 1/2 done with the interior walls, the other 1/2 should be easier tomorrow because all the corners are laser aligned and marked, the bracing to anchor the top of the walls between the trusses and to the outside walls are in. I got a pic this morning when we were getting started but time got away from us, it got dark early and the camera wasn't wanting to cooperate with the big work lights. Will get more pics tomorrow before dark. :thumb1

We also decided last Saturday while wiring up the shop lights to remove the dividing wall that was there for the tractor storage section and just leave it all open and insulate and finish the entire shop area. Today we thought we may move the storage area door out of the shop into the bathroom, or just combine those 2 rooms, we'll see tomorrow...

I changed the plans so dad can look at it tomorrow and see what he wants. There's a before and after plan pic below.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2021 19:50 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
11 Nov 2021 18:55 #17363 by Geno
It's come a long way in the past few days and all is going good, I did manage to get pics today and I'll get them in here with an update in the morning. I'm going to find something to eat and rest my legs that have been running up and down a ladder for the past 4 days... :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Nov 2021 08:50 - 12 Nov 2021 08:52 #17364 by Geno
These are pics from yesterday morning. The doors are in but just stacked so we can keep the rain out and keep warm. It sure is nice not having to put all the tools in another locked garage every night and have to get them out every morning now that we can lock the place up. By 6 or so last night we had most of the wiring done, I think 1 more day will get it finished. We're going after another load of lumber today I think to get most of the girts to run around the walls and frame out the windows, and maybe even a pizza buffet wooooo lol. :tounge2 :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 12 Nov 2021 08:52 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy, jm46322

More
14 Nov 2021 09:22 #17365 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Dad's New Hangout
:bliss :dance3

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
16 Nov 2021 08:21 - 16 Nov 2021 08:25 #17370 by Geno
I keep forgetting in the rush to take my camera with me to dad's new hangout. :doh I'll get some pics today.

All of the upper electrical will be done today and the insulation guys are coming out to close off and foam insulate the roof and everything above the ceiling tomorrow morning. Putting up the ceiling will be next, then finishing the garage doors and openers where they are functional. After that we can finish up all the lights and garage door opener outlets. We hope to have all of that done by this weekend then we can move on to the heat pump, interior doors and wiring. :thumb1

It's going a little slower than we had planned but there's only so much a 60 and 88 old year old pair of perfectionists can do in a day lol. :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 16 Nov 2021 08:25 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jm46322

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
16 Nov 2021 18:32 #17371 by Geno
We are ready for the insulation guys in the morning, I'm back in the shop earlier than usual, and it was over 70 and sunny today. It was a good day for sure. :sun

All of the girts are in except the 3 small walls where the interior doors go for the office to shop, bathroom, and storage areas. The main door, garage doors, and windows are all boxed in for the walls and insulation, the small equipment, tools, and materials are moved out, and the place is organized and swept.

Tomorrow is supposed to be about 75 and sunny :woo so we're going to move some dirt and rock piles outside while the insulation guys are working in there. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Nov 2021 18:22 #17374 by Geno
Everything above the ceiling is all foamed up and ready to put the ceiling in tomorrow. Where we dug for the sewer and water lines and the misc piles of rock around the shop are all cleaned up and spread out except a good topsoil pile for around the building. After we get done with a little more cosmetic drainage work and some more rock in the front the barn the outsides will be all done. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
18 Nov 2021 08:55 #17376 by GT 14
Looking good! What is the R value of the spray on insulation?

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
18 Nov 2021 10:06 #17378 by Geno
There are 2 types of foam, open cell and closed cell. Open cell is R4 per inch and closed cell is R7 per inch.

I never thought it was fair the way they do R values with foam. By the time you count the 2x4 (3 1/2") depth having an R value of 4 total, not to mention the impossibility of getting in every crack, or a perfect seal or depth throughout, the R values of other types of insulation are much lower than advertised. With the foam you actually get a much higher R value because it is a complete and total seal as you can see in the pics. It expands into each rib, behind the posts, and covers the wood as well. It makes a building totally draft and even bug proof and the mice hate foam so they don't tend to make homes in it if one gets in.

We went with open cell because it is much cheaper per inch, the closed cell is in short supply right now, and 6-7 " of open cell is plenty once you take into account the above. Most insulation peeps that do foam will say that the way this building is done it is a R24 to 28 in technical terms when in reality it is an R30 to 34 and totally sealed. When I did my shop many many years ago I filled it all the way to the inside girts and the house has all that can be put in it as well. The house (you've stayed there) is almost 4500 sq ft of conditioned space, all electric, and used $47 worth of electric last month and I kept it 75 degrees in there or warmer. It also makes things quiet as can be, the only way I can tell if there's a huge storm outside is to look out the window lol. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2021 08:39 #17383 by GT 14
Looks like it will be moving day soon. Crank up the 8 tracks!

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds