• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
07 Oct 2021 10:13 #17309 by Geno
Dad's New Hangout was created by Geno
Dad's new hangout is underway. Morton is doing the shell and dad and I are doing the rest, wiring, plumbing, interior walls, etc. Morton is supposed to be done this week but we will see, the rain is messing things up a bit. We already had the grade ready and rock in, they started on it Monday, the pics below I took Tuesday eve, yesterday we were rained out, not sure what will be today yet.

They are doing the basic building because of the warranty and the fact that they put up a lot of big buildings for us a little over 40 years ago and we have had absolutely no problems out of any of them. They make all the materials themselves and handle all warranty claims in house so there are no hoops to jump through. 50 years on posts and snow load with no weight limit, 35-Year Paint Warranty even if it fades or chalks, lifetime on windows and doors, five-year wind warranty with no velocity limit (including a direct hit from a tornado), and includes all materials and LABOR for the full-life of the warranty with no pro rating. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2021 09:56 #17310 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Dad's New Hangout
You will be under roof before the snow flies. Don't forget the record play/radio. :dance3

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Oct 2021 19:14 #17311 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Dad's New Hangout

GT 14 wrote: You will be under roof before the snow flies. Don't forget the record play/radio. :dance3

You remember that thing huh lol. He will prob move it down there 1st thing. It still works and sounds great, hard telling how old it is. It plays radio, records, 8 tracks, and cassettes, he added the cassette player made for it when cassettes came out. He still has a bunch of old Charlie Pride and other 8 tracks that he still plays in there. :tounge2

They worked on it some this afternoon but not a lot, still pretty wet. Dad said we had gotten over 4" of rain in that last storm Tuesday night + Wed but it will prob be dry enough to work on it tomorrow, and I think they're planning on finishing it beginning of next week. Weather looks good for the next week, for now... I'll get down there tomorrow and get some progress pics. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
09 Oct 2021 07:34 - 09 Oct 2021 07:36 #17312 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic Dad's New Hangout

Geno wrote:

GT 14 wrote: You will be under roof before the snow flies. Don't forget the record play/radio. :dance3

You remember that thing huh lol. He will prob move it down there 1st thing. It still works and sounds great, hard telling how old it is. It plays radio, records, 8 tracks, and cassettes, he added the cassette player made for it when cassettes came out. He still has a bunch of old Charlie Pride and other 8 tracks that he still plays in there. :tounge2

They worked on it some this afternoon but not a lot, still pretty wet. Dad said we had gotten over 4" of rain in that last storm Tuesday night + Wed but it will prob be dry enough to work on it tomorrow, and I think they're planning on finishing it beginning of next week. Weather looks good for the next week, for now... I'll get down there tomorrow and get some progress pics. :thumb1

building looking nice....and 8 tracks right down my alley....i have some country ones that are NOS that i will give him when i come down there next time ....:cof3 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2021 07:36 by nappypappy.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Oct 2021 09:47 #17313 by Geno

nappypappy wrote:
building looking nice....and 8 tracks right down my alley....i have some country ones that are NOS that i will give him when i come down there next time ....:cof3 :bacon0

That will make his day lol. :laughing I think I'll head over there for a bit and see what's going on.

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Oct 2021 13:48 - 09 Oct 2021 13:49 #17314 by Geno
They said they would be back Monday when it dries out good. I went down and made a mental list and showed dad what they need to fix so far. I knew I should have been there the whole time as they were working lol. :jump1

They had the walk door in the wrong place but I got dad to tell them and it's already moved. The last 4 pieces of metal are lapped toward the front instead of the rear on the 2 short ends which means you can see the laps from the front, they did this on the black and white panels. :doh The window on the short (South) end has no J channel and looks like a big mess, and they need to make sure to J channel the front (east) window. A few other laps on the front trim need to be pulled off and changed, and I told dad if I wasn't there to make sure all of the metal on the front laps to the North which is the side we won't see much. I may have to go down there on Monday and watch them while they finish it up, we'll see...

I included a pic of the plans I made for the interior a long time ago of a tentative layout for dad, it may change a little but not a whole lot. Each small gray square is 2' x 2', the wider gray squares are 10' x 10', it's not perfect but close enough to get an idea of what he wanted inside. Here is the progress so far.

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2021 13:49 by Geno.

More
09 Oct 2021 14:40 #17315 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: They said they would be back Monday when it dries out good. I went down and made a mental list and showed dad what they need to fix so far. I knew I should have been there the whole time as they were working lol. :jump1

They had the walk door in the wrong place but I got dad to tell them and it's already moved. The last 4 pieces of metal are lapped toward the front instead of the rear on the 2 short ends which means you can see the laps from the front, they did this on the black and white panels. :doh The window on the short (South) end has no J channel and looks like a big mess, and they need to make sure to J channel the front (east) window. A few other laps on the front trim need to be pulled off and changed, and I told dad if I wasn't there to make sure all of the metal on the front laps to the North which is the side we won't see much. I may have to go down there on Monday and watch them while they finish it up, we'll see...

I included a pic of the plans I made for the interior a long time ago of a tentative layout for dad, it may change a little but not a whole lot. Each small gray square is 2' x 2', the wider gray squares are 10' x 10', it's not perfect but close enough to get an idea of what he wanted inside. Here is the progress so far.

Humm and after looking at the plans i wonder who will get the most use of the space....Humm.................:cof3 :reality :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Oct 2021 15:53 #17316 by Geno
If you mean the tractor storage area then that's all dad, none of my stuff will be on the farm as of Dec 31. The tractor Storage area is for the 756 International turbo, 15' bush hog, Massey 135, and Kubota with the bucket and backhoe. Once those are in there it will be completely filled. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Oct 2021 20:10 #17317 by Geno
Dad and I were out in his truck till about 8:30 last night, It was almost past both of our bedtimes lol. :laughing It's been hard finding a lot of the things we needed to do the electrical, especially the conduit and main wire going from the pole to the building. We went to several Lowes and got most of it but finally ended up having to go to the Frankfort and Shelbyville stores and still didn't find a main panel, wire clamps, and the regular outlet boxes we wanted. There was not even 1 blue outlet box of any size for the lights or outlets in any of the stores, and only 1 store had the main wire we needed for the run to the main panel inside. :whew

I did a lot of searching this morning and finally found a main panel on Amazon that would work (only 1 left), clamps, and electrical boxes. The elec boxes there are selling for almost $3 each and some more than that. :surprised There is clearly some price gouging going on from some of the 3rd party sellers. I finally managed to find a 100 pack in the Amazon Warehouse deals with damaged packaging for about $58 and they say they will be here tomorrow along with the main box and clamps. :thumb1

Been over there late and just got in a few mins ago. I'll get some progress pics up and more details in the morning. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
12 Oct 2021 22:27 #17318 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: Dad and I were out in his truck till about 8:30 last night, It was almost past both of our bedtimes lol. :laughing It's been hard finding a lot of the things we needed to do the electrical, especially the conduit and main wire going from the pole to the building. We went to several Lowes and got most of it but finally ended up having to go to the Frankfort and Shelbyville stores and still didn't find a main panel, wire clamps, and the regular outlet boxes we wanted. There was not even 1 blue outlet box of any size for the lights or outlets in any of the stores, and only 1 store had the main wire we needed for the run to the main panel inside. :whew

I did a lot of searching this morning and finally found a main panel on Amazon that would work (only 1 left), clamps, and electrical boxes. The elec boxes there are selling for almost $3 each and some more than that. :surprised There is clearly some price gouging going on from some of the 3rd party sellers. I finally managed to find a 100 pack in the Amazon Warehouse deals with damaged packaging for about $58 and they say they will be here tomorrow along with the main box and clamps. :thumb1

Been over there late and just got in a few mins ago. I'll get some progress pics up and more details in the morning. :smile2

seems to me you should have went to some place like grainger or electrical only store.....:smile2 :2cents :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H

Time to create page: 0.764 seconds