• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
18 Feb 2021 08:21 #16767 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic What's everybody doing?
Got a lot done yesterday, managed to stay in the back all day and the phone was fairly quiet. :thumb1

The last covers were off the motor, all cleaned up, painted and ready to go on.

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
18 Feb 2021 08:43 #16768 by Geno
Then it was time to wrap up the tedious part. If you think they all just bolt right up then you're done think again lol. :laughing

On GM LS engines the front and rear covers and oil pan all have critical alignments. There are no dowels or alignment pins. There are special tools involved to line up the crank main seals to the covers, and cover bottoms to the block, then the oil pan is structural and bolts to the transmission so the rear mounting flatness has to be within .004 or the oil pan or transmission housing could crack or break when installing if it's off far enough, or over time. Lot's of fun. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
18 Feb 2021 14:28 #16771 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic What's everybody doing?
Thought you would paint the engine red. :yank

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
18 Feb 2021 15:52 #16772 by Geno
Uh no, it's not high enough temp paint lol. :jump1

It is funny though, I thought about using up some older red on the flywheel but I was worried about temps too, so I found some Krylon Industrial Lacquer they sent me for samples a few years ago and used some of it. It's good paint but I never did like the color much, it says it's aluminum color but it's pretty shiny. The can is in the background of the flywheel pic. :tounge2

Also, if anyone ever puts a rear main in an LS engine they go in backwards. The seal comes with a guide plate already in it to start it, then you use the other side of the centering tool to install it. The back end and sides are all done, new motor mounts, oil level sensor, spark plugs and all of the covers are on and torqued. I'm waiting on a camshaft timing actuator gasket that wasn't in the front timing set, it will be here in the morning. After that the water pump and front damper can go on and it will be ready to set back in the truck. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
18 Feb 2021 19:16 #16774 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic What's everybody doing?

Geno wrote: Uh no, it's not high enough temp paint lol. :jump1

It is funny though, I thought about using up some older red on the flywheel but I was worried about temps too, so I found some Krylon Industrial Lacquer they sent me for samples a few years ago and used some of it. It's good paint but I never did like the color much, it says it's aluminum color but it's pretty shiny. The can is in the background of the flywheel pic. :tounge2

Also, if anyone ever puts a rear main in an LS engine they go in backwards. The seal comes with a guide plate already in it to start it, then you use the other side of the centering tool to install it. The back end and sides are all done, new motor mounts, oil level sensor, spark plugs and all of the covers are on and torqued. I'm waiting on a camshaft timing actuator gasket that wasn't in the front timing set, it will be here in the morning. After that the water pump and front damper can go on and it will be ready to set back in the truck. :smile2

Shame you have to put it back in there since its so darn pur-dee..................:woo :smile2 :cof3 :10 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
19 Feb 2021 18:11 #16776 by Geno
It will look pur-dee in the truck lol. :rolling3

Everything else came in this morning and I was ready to go. The front actuator and harness went on along with a new cam sensor, the old ones are usually so tight they have to be knocked out with a punch and hammer and this one was the same, the new ones aren't so tight, no wonder there's an updated part #... :doh

The last surfaces got cleaned up next and the water pump put on then I needed dad to hold the flywheel to seat the balancer. Problem is someone was up here to buy a dozer blade last night, dad had been in and out a few times, and with the temp just right for things to barely start melting the drive turned really slick. Nothing was going in or out this afternoon. It's supposed to go down to 8 or 9 degrees tonight so it may be ok in the morning when the roughness along side the tracks freezes up. Seems like I think every day that it's going back in but something always seems to come up. :whew It will get done one of these days. :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
20 Feb 2021 11:54 #16777 by Geno
Dad got up here fine this morning, all the vital parts are all on, torqued, and it's sitting in the truck with 2 bell housing bolts in it. Just in time for lunch and a good cigar. :woo

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Feb 2021 18:35 #16781 by Geno
Finally getting close. The carnage pile is getting bigger than I thought it would become though lol. :laughing

It's nice they left just enough room for a torque wrench even in the tight spots. Everything is done underneath minus exhaust then the top end will go really quick. The new parts pile is pretty small now too, I can't wait to get this done and move back to my regular easy work. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
27 Feb 2021 19:25 #16794 by Geno
I got enough of it together to run it for a few minutes and check things out before the front end got put together and antifreeze put in it. There's so may new parts on it I needed to know if the new sensors, starter, etc was good before making them harder to get to. Everything looks good and there's no check engine light so it can get most everything else finished up under the hood on Monday. Front wheels and fender wells will be last so when I run it in it will be easy to check for leaks, then it can get wrapped up. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

More
28 Feb 2021 09:21 #16796 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic What's everybody doing?
The rumble at the end of the tunnel :whew

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds