• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
06 Feb 2021 08:28 #16704 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic What's everybody doing?
I've been having tons of fun, sort of... :tounge2

I've been working on one of the hardest and most time consuming engines to pull. After a few days of getting it mostly loose in between other things Dad was here with me last night till late getting it out. It's a tight fit and tricky one to do. :whew

The engine is fine but it has some oil leaks and little things I want to do to it and it's always better to do things when you plan them instead of letting things get bad and being forced into a job when you least expect it, or when you're on the road. There's a service bulletin on the rear seal cover leaking so that meant pulling the trans, transfer case, exhaust, drive shafts, etc. Then the oil pan gasket is starting to leak which means dropping the entire front differential, axles, and most of the front end, and other things. It also has some other little issues I'll post in here as they get done.

It makes more sense in these situations to just pull the engine and reseal the entire engine, replace all the hoses and other maintenance type things and be done with it. It's been a good truck and I've worked her pretty hard for the past 10 years so it's past time I make her new again. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2021 09:03 #16707 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic What's everybody doing?

Geno wrote: I've been having tons of fun, sort of... :tounge2

I've been working on one of the hardest and most time consuming engines to pull. After a few days of getting it mostly loose in between other things Dad was here with me last night till late getting it out. It's a tight fit and tricky one to do. :whew

The engine is fine but it has some oil leaks and little things I want to do to it and it's always better to do things when you plan them instead of letting things get bad and being forced into a job when you least expect it, or when you're on the road. There's a service bulletin on the rear seal cover leaking so that meant pulling the trans, transfer case, exhaust, drive shafts, etc. Then the oil pan gasket is starting to leak which means dropping the entire front differential, axles, and most of the front end, and other things. It also has some other little issues I'll post in here as they get done.

It makes more sense in these situations to just pull the engine and reseal the entire engine, replace all the hoses and other maintenance type things and be done with it. It's been a good truck and I've worked her pretty hard for the past 10 years so it's past time I make her new again. :thumb1

Good idea and been there and done dat also.....i would rather pull engine most of the time and last time i did heads got serviced at a machine shop.......now it runs about 70 pounds of oil pressure and next time i pull it maybe rings and pistons since its got lots and lots of miles on it and 21 years old now...

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Feb 2021 18:41 - 06 Feb 2021 18:44 #16708 by Geno

nappypappy wrote:
Good idea and been there and done dat also.....i would rather pull engine most of the time and last time i did heads got serviced at a machine shop.......now it runs about 70 pounds of oil pressure and next time i pull it maybe rings and pistons since its got lots and lots of miles on it and 21 years old now...

If it's not burning any oil it should be ok, keep on driving. :thumb

I've been cleaning on it but I got some before pics of what was leaking originally. New motor mounts are already here, left one was broken. All the gaskets will be here on Monday along with a new low oil sensor, it has a replaceable seal but just in case it's leaking from the plastic somewhere it's getting replaced.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Feb 2021 18:44 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Feb 2021 18:11 #16710 by Geno
The outside got all cleaned up today so nothing gets down in the engine while it's being taken apart. That's one thing a lot of mechanics miss, there's a lot of nasty stuff around the gaskets, especially the valley cover that can get in there and cause damage. Most mechanics don't clean the insides either but that's another story...  :nono

The insides look great as I expected from the Mobil oil. :thumb1

Things may slow a little when the Iron Worker gets here tomorrow though lol. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Feb 2021 18:16 - 08 Feb 2021 18:17 #16711 by Geno
Forgot a few pics. I'm gonna clean up the oxidation and paint everything outside with a paint I've been using for years from Seymour that is made for machine shops and rebuilders. It will cover the hard stains and should stop any further oxidation from now on. The valve covers are already cleaned up and ready. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 18:17 by Geno.

More
08 Feb 2021 19:55 #16712 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: Forgot a few pics. I'm gonna clean up the oxidation and paint everything outside with a paint I've been using for years from Seymour that is made for machine shops and rebuilders. It will cover the hard stains and should stop any further oxidation from now on. The valve covers are already cleaned up and ready. :smile2

Looking Good...................................................:woo :smile2 :cof3 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

More
09 Feb 2021 13:13 - 09 Feb 2021 13:14 #16713 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic What's everybody doing?
Don't forget to change the muffler bearings while its out. :rolling4

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
Last edit: 09 Feb 2021 13:14 by GT 14.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Feb 2021 20:00 #16715 by Geno
I did them when I did the headers year before last. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
09 Feb 2021 20:08 #16716 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: I did them when I did the headers year before last. :tounge2

Good thing..... them muffler bearings just dont last long......................:woo :cof4 :woo :cof3 :yay :hiding :scared :read2 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
10 Feb 2021 17:46 #16718 by Geno
The last broken bolt is out. Nothing like taking steel bolts out of aluminum. :whew

This bolt broke when the headers were put on a few years ago, another one of the reasons the engine came out. This was the impossible bolt to get to easily in the truck. The welding shop tried to weld a nut on it in the truck and messed up the head a little but there are still plenty of threads left and I've been talking to Kurt and think we have a good solution to add a few more threads. If you have any ideas GT let me know, just trying to go overboard while it's easy to get to. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.816 seconds