• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
20 Jun 2024 08:54 #18397 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic What's everybody doing?
I still use the Horses for everything else and they are my fav except for mowing.  The grass looks better when mowed at 4", the WH can't do that.  Taller grass prevents a lot of weed growth and helps a lot when we get heatwaves like this.  If I mowed with a WH a lot of my yard would be almost dead by the end of this week.  I would use a tank of gas (2-1/2 gallons) and take 2 hours to mow what I mow, the clipper uses a little over 1 gallon and takes 1 hour.  

I love my Horses but over twice the gas, twice the time, and an unhealthy yard full of weeds seems like a bad choice for me.  I could use the WH and cut it high as possible (shorter) and spray it more often like I used to but that is even more money invested in equipment, gas, time, 2-4D, etc, and more grass would still be dead after these heatwaves.  The thing I really need more than anything is more time to do other things right now...  

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
21 Jun 2024 17:42 #18399 by Geno
I'm back (for now) to quitting work for everyone else around 6PM and doing a few little things around here that I need done for an hour or so.  Last night was put some hooks on the forklift that I've been meaning to do for many years.  Not a biggie but it's one more thing off the list and will make life a little easier... 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
28 Jun 2024 19:06 #18400 by Geno
Been doing cleaning + rearranging on and off in what spare time I have, what else is new. 

The Kubota came out this morning and I got addicted to using it like I usually do.  First thing this morning while it was cool I moved one of the old heat pump pads and leveled that spot up, it was done by lunchtime.  I need to figure out what to do with that one and the other one before I move it.  I've been wondering if I could use them somewhere else but haven't thought of anything yet.  I poured them about 26 years ago so they are pretty cured and tough now.  

I knew it was too hot to be out there but I just couldn't stop, nothing like being on a tractor...  I took some breaks to cool off but spent most of the day digging, moving, clearing out the mess around the last 4 stumps behind the shop, and even started on the front sidewalk in front of the house that goes to the highway.  As dry as it is nothing came easy but a lot of progress was still made today. 

The mailbox used to be at the bottom of the steps at the highway but I moved it next to the driveway when I bought the place in 95.  I've been debating for a long time on the front porch, steps, and sidewalk but decided today it can all go.  The stone foundation can get steam cleaned and joints redone, then I can just build another porch rail section and close it off.  That entrance is never used anyway.  It will be less to maintain and just plant it back in grass.  Less work and a cleaner look is always good. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds