• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
09 Mar 2021 15:03 #16823 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic New Iron Worker is on the way
The new fab kit came in yesterday, with missing parts again of course...  :nono :laughing Now they are rounding up the rest of it. I went to put the table on and the squared center was off so the bolts wouldn't line up. :doh Someday I'll get it all here and working.

I put the table on the mill and it is straightened up enough to go on and off the machine easily, so that part is done. Wiring is all figured out but 1 safety ground wire for the foot switch that I will know where they want it put today or tomorrow.

On the bright side the protractor is 1/4" thick, accurate, and uses t-slot nuts and hand wheels, it will make those angle cuts fast and easy. They are sending me another for my trouble in fixing the table. It will stay on the punching table instead of switching the one back and forth. :thumb1

I also welded an 18mm impact socket on the end of the punching guard wrench so I wouldn't loose track of it lol. :tounge2

I knew it would be an awesome machine once it was all made right. I sheared some 5/8" today and never even heard a strain from the machine, it's a monster for sure. Still a few things to do but at least it is in working order now.

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Mar 2021 16:37 #16827 by Geno
I think it's in the spot it's gonna stay, for now. :laughing It has to be somewhere were you can get to all 4 sides. Just have to do a little rearranging in some other places and get everything situated, dad and I started on that today.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
13 Mar 2021 10:03 - 13 Mar 2021 10:22 #16838 by Geno
Playing with some lighting this morning. I found some magnetic 110V long goose neck led lights on Amazon with 3 lighting levels and they are touch activated on the light. They have double magnets and can be moved around wherever and they can just be wired into 1 leg in the control box. Now I won't have to hunt for a flashlight if the mark isn't so good lol. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2021 10:22 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
13 Mar 2021 17:22 - 13 Mar 2021 17:23 #16842 by Geno
I got to looking at the small wires on the plugs and didn't think much of dealing with some tiny wires in there. The I started thinking what if one goes bad, or what if I want to add more lights or other things, or what if I want to run something USB or charge a cell phone with it... No I still don't have a cell phone. :rolling3

Most of you guys know me well enough by now that something cooler had to be done. :laughing

I had something that was a perfect fit on the lathe so I took it and ordered another one for it. It has an on off switch, surge protection, 5 outlets spaced for transformer plugs, and 3 USB ports. I think I may have the only iron worker that has 3 phase, 220V single phase, 120V single phase, and USB outlets all on board the machine and all portable. :woo

Now I just need to find some more stuff to plug into all those plugs lol. Some lazer guides would be nice... :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2021 17:23 by Geno.

More
22 Mar 2021 21:05 #16848 by nappypappy
Well not to be nosey or anything but what the heck is that machine for or should i say what do you use it for?.............:smile2 :cof4 :cof3 :hungry :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Mar 2021 08:40 #16849 by Geno
Basically it's a machine that can shear metal, punch holes, bend metal all in 1 machine. You can shear (or cut) a piece in this faster than you can even lock it in the band saw vise. It shears flat, angle, round, and square metal. You can make a hole faster than you can set it in the drill press vise or change the drill bit, let alone all of the extra bit sharpening and buying more drill bits as they get damaged. It takes only seconds to shear a piece, make a hole, bend a piece, etc. It basically gets a lot more done in a lot less time and cuts down on consumables like blades, drill bits, etc and pays for itself over time. :thumb1

I made a quick vid this morning of it. Nothing fancy, just a piece of old steel and no marks to go by so you get the idea. :tounge2

The 5/8" thick by 2" sitting on the machine is getting ready to be made into slot hitches. This machine will cut them and punch the holes in them faster than cutting just 1 piece on the band saw not counting the drilling and finishing. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

More
23 Mar 2021 10:03 #16850 by Kurt-NEPA
Nice to see it working Gene. Congratulations.

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Mar 2021 15:18 #16854 by Geno
I didn't know this was their 1st design iron worker... Now I'm working with the National Sales Manager as a go between with the factory on redesigning the material clamp for the shear that doesn't work like it should. No one at the factory speaks english and his is a little broken but we've gotten used to each other. :doh One thing I will say, they are working hard to make everything right. :thumb

You can see in the pics the quick release clamp is a nice idea but doesn't work based on material width and thickness, and once you get the material to clamp where it works you loose your fence that is squared to the blade. It also doesn't clamp all of the material, like if you are shearing something up to 14" which can cause distortion in the metal. The rear stop is easy, it just needs to be longer. They asked me to redesign it and they would pay for the parts and time but I told them I didn't have the time, and they have more access to parts and people to get it done anyway. I gave them an idea of what it should be and they have already started on it. They are however going to run their final design past me then send me prototype parts to try out before they make the change to make sure it's a good fix. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Mar 2021 15:28 #16855 by Geno
On a good note, I just stuck a piece of cold rolled 3/4" in the original stop bracket to reach where I was working for a quick stop. Then I sheared 1/2 a stick (10') of 5/8' x 2" for the slot hitch tongues (14 of them) in less than 3 minutes. :woo That would be about the same time that it would take to cut 2 of them on the big band saw, I was very impressed. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
24 Mar 2021 07:47 #16856 by Geno
Punching 13/16" holes in 5/8" thick steel and I can barely hear a strain, what a beast lol. :surprised :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.719 seconds