• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
10 Feb 2022 09:15 #17545 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Project Trisickle, maybe...
Bring on the red. :woo

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2022 11:29 #17547 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Project Trisickle, maybe...
Shake rattle and spray WHS theme song. :guns1 :welcome1

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
10 Feb 2022 15:07 - 10 Feb 2022 15:08 #17549 by Geno
I didn't know we had a theme song but maybe we need one lol. :laughing

Had a chiropractor visit early this morning then had to help dad with something but the fanciness has begun. It helps that this tractor has some super nice sheet metal. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2022 15:08 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
10 Feb 2022 19:10 - 10 Feb 2022 19:11 #17550 by Geno
The rear clutch rod had a little play so the frame was drilled and the same self lubricating bushings added that we use on the newer PTO lever shafts. The flange on the bushing tightened up the side play and will keep any parts from ever hitting metal to metal, that will be nice and better than when it was new. Now it's snug and smooth and good to 30K rpm lol. :tounge2

Also, super sliders are for everything, not just for furniture... :laughing I needed to be able to slide it both ways on the table to work on the left or right because I need the forklift free for a few coming in tomorrow.

The lift handle has a new spring and the lift setup is all on, I do think it needs some more grade 9 hardware though... :tounge2 The tool box, seat spring, and and tower bolts are still not tightened up yet because I needed the lift setup all on to set the rear cable lift. A new pin is out and the slot hitch is ready to go on so it will get wrapped up in the morn cause it's suppertime again. :hungry

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2022 19:11 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
11 Feb 2022 13:52 #17551 by Geno
Here's some more of what makes things take so long... When someone made the mess of the welding on the brake arm they bent the rod of course. Straightening rods, finding all the missing little things like washers, etc, making things fit right sure eats up a lot of time... :doh

I had a self inflicted time eater (it happens sometimes lol) is the fancy bushings I put in the frame for the clutch rod made it a little too tight side to side so I had to take about .030 off of the new cast iron arm. The 1" mill bit was still in the mill from doing the upper tricycle shafts so it only took a min. :yes

Anyway,,, everything is set up and bolted up tight, shifter is in, thrust washers have been added on both sides of the clutch/brake pedal, the rear slot hitch is on, and I dug out a NOS Wheel Horse belt for it. Everything is looking good. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Feb 2022 10:36 #17554 by Geno
The easy part is over, now on to the fun I knew was coming since the hood was blasted beginning of this week...

Someone did a good solid repair here, just not a pretty one that's up to par with what the rest of what the tractor has become. It's a tough spot to get to but most of the ugly is ground down at the front hood mount. Now it's time to get the torch out and take the little brace they made off inside the side emblem, take the seam loose to the center of the hood, and straighten out the hood and get the seam right. Here we go lol. :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Feb 2022 14:04 #17555 by Geno
A little OCD bodywork lesson lol. :tounge2

Whoever fixed it was a really good body man with a good amount of experience to get it hot enough to braze without a lot of warping from the heat, I know this from how hard it was to get apart... The only thing better than a good body man with a good amount of experience is an OCD body man with a good amount of experience lol.

Step 1, get it all apart again just like it was before the repair so you can get everything back where it belongs. No, you can not just beat it back into submission... :laughing

Step 2, find out where the metal went that would not allow the body line to line up, it will always be there, you just have to find it. A DA is good for finding it. It is the shiny sanded line that goes from the front toward the gas tank at an outward angle.

Step 3, once that high spot (shiny line) is worked down it will push the body line back over to where it belongs.

Step 4, tack weld what is right as you go, it can't be done all at once if you want a fix that looks factory when it's done. In this case, once the body line is right it can be tacked up to there. :thumb

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Feb 2022 18:54 #17556 by Geno
Right when I get going good dad shows up and needs some things, story of my life... :laughing

At least the hood is tacked up, has the lines right, and sits straight on the bench now. It still needs a little work but the most time consuming part is over. :whew

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
14 Feb 2022 12:10 #17560 by Geno
I wish I had got this with the crack instead of fighting all the brass but oh well, it is what it is. It would have been a 1 hour job instead of a 10 hour job... :whew

It came out good for what I had to work with. The lines are right and the original crack is lined back up, it's just a little rough from all the heat it took to get the brass loose, most of it outta there, and straighten what all was bent and stretched from the previous repair. There's no remedy for stretching in this case unless the entire front was removed and that wasn't gonna happen, it's a tractor, not a Lamborghini lol. :laughing At least the big bump toward the center is gone and the lines are right. The seam will be filled, 2-3 light coats of spot putty should take care of it. It's not as bad as it looks in the pics, the dark spots aren't really that low. Low spots are easier to deal with than high spots, there is a before pic below. The rest of the hood looks really good minus a few dents that were worked out that will get 1-2 light coats of spot putty as well.

Front wheels are underway, insides are done and will try to get the outsides done before leaving tonight. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
15 Feb 2022 11:05 #17561 by Geno
It was late last night (again) when I got outta here so I didn't get pics last night. Front wheels did get painted on the outsides last night before I left. The belt guard is checked and is really straight minus a few little places around the rear bolt where I straightened it out, and the crack I welded up a few inches in front of it, the rear tires got mounted this morning. :thumb1

Plan is to get the wheels on and move it to the big table today, I need the wheeled table to take a rearend apart on one of them coming in today. There a few coming after lunch and it's gonna be over 60 today and close to 70 the next 2 days after that so I need to do a little steam cleaning while it's warm. Bring on the warm... :woo :sun

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.621 seconds