• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
28 Jan 2022 07:53 #17510 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Project Trisickle, maybe...
Thanks Bill but I'm not sure if it's talent or just the OCD lol. :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
28 Jan 2022 18:54 #17512 by Geno
Just a quick update, I have more info and pics that I'll put up here in the morning, been a wild day. :smile2

First pic is the prob area from yesterday, the bearing bracket wouldn't go up quite far enough. The 2 bolts that hold the bearing plate in are just to keep it from coming off if you pop a wheelie lol, the factory axle brackets really do all the work for the weight load and shear force from side to side. That part is all fixed, more in the morn.

I went on and stripped it down to the frame today to make it easier to work on because of something I found today. Of all the tractors to do this on I had to pick one with a cluster on the steering shaft... One of the many roll pins was hitting the battery box then going up into it, wouldn't take long to put a hole in the battery and made it awfully hard to steer. I just knocked it back some and put it back in for now... :doh :jump1

More in the morn, now it's suppertime. :hungry2

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Jan 2022 09:54 - 29 Jan 2022 09:55 #17513 by Geno
This is the first time I've used the autostop adjustment setup on the iron worker and it is truly awesome. Once the magnetic setup is adjusted it makes perfect replicas every time. Once one was set up in the machine I made a mark for the stopping point then just put them in and hit the pedal, it made a perfect bend in a few seconds. The second bend used the same angle and it worked out that the distance wasn't too short, they were just put in until they hit the stop for the last bend and it was just right. It took longer to do the machine setup than to make all the bends. :10

I also made an extra one without the hole to tack weld on the jig so it was put on right every time. Things happen and things can get put together wrong when it gets wild around here lol. :laughing

Now the main jig setup is done and will make sure every part is correct and assembled correctly every time. Where is my easy button lol. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 09:55 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Jan 2022 10:08 - 29 Jan 2022 10:11 #17514 by Geno
Now back to the tractor pics... Once the frame was cleaned up and the plate was trued up it went right in with a few light hammer taps like it should. It steers stop to stop on the steering gear just like factory without putting any unneeded stress on the kit parts and works just like it should. :woo

It's a really tight fit in there and clearances are tight but I wouldn't change the design for anything. I hate cutting up too much of the tractor and making big messes or complicated jobs out of something when more time can be spent on the design to make it easier to do while keeping the tractor as factory as possible. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 10:11 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
31 Jan 2022 08:31 #17515 by Geno
Spent some of Saturday checking out parts and doing a little more disassembly and blasting. Whoever owned this before liked their roll pins (like all of them in the steering gear). :tounge2

There was a little welding done on the cast iron clutch arm so I brought up a diagram and went to the back and got a NOS one. There was an extra hole in the piece they put on there, and I guess I'll drill out the new one for a bigger roll pin like they did, which isn't a bad idea, the factory one was kinda small.

I'm gonna try to finish the disassembly and get everything out that needs to be replaced to put it back together today, and get it all ready to take out to steam clean what needs to be cleaned tomorrow. It's supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow and will be a good day to get the steamer out. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
31 Jan 2022 10:30 - 31 Jan 2022 10:31 #17516 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Project Trisickle, maybe...
Trike works limited LLC. :10 :hi5 :surprised

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
Last edit: 31 Jan 2022 10:31 by GT 14.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
31 Jan 2022 19:09 #17517 by Geno

GT 14 wrote: Trike works limited LLC. :10 :hi5 :surprised

Yea, like I need more to do. :tounge2 :dalek :rolling3

Did a little more disassembly today, a little fixing, a little prep, and a little blasting. You never know what you find in some of these or why, like that 1/2" piece of steel in the tower, or the home made bolt turned into a set screw lol. :laughing

A lot of distractions today but still a pretty good day of work on it. Everything that is getting steam cleaned tomorrow minus the rear end is on a cart and ready to go, and the parts blasted so far are in really nice shape without and deep rust pits. This one should turn out really nice. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
01 Feb 2022 18:02 #17520 by Geno
Thank the Lord for such a nice day to start off the month, 65 and sunny. :sun

Did a little fixing this morning on the starter solenoid, it was crooked and just had self cutting screws in it so it got straightened up and nuts welded to the inside, the belt guard needs a little work as well. Steam cleaning is done on all the tractor parts, some of the building, and the Wheel Horse sign of course lol. :smile2

Everything is put back up, parts are dried out, back in the shop and ready to be checked, blasted, and fixed if need be. Things should move right along now. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
03 Feb 2022 11:10 #17525 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Project Trisickle, maybe...
It was 48 here and I washed the car. :thumb :thumb1

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
03 Feb 2022 13:39 #17527 by Geno

GT 14 wrote: It was 48 here and I washed the car. :thumb :thumb1

That's pretty good for way up where you are. :clap :cleaning

After my morning Chiropractor visit for this week it was frame time. One thing I didn't mention but a few of you figured I'm sure is with the front out a little the rear was gonna be a lot worse. The rear was in a full 1/4" from the front, it was 6" in between the rails and supposed to be 6 1/4" but not a big problem for a 10 ton porta-power... The way it was bent this didn't happen after the tractor was sold, someone pulled it in when it was built to weld the rear bracket and put a lot of stress on it from the beginning. :doh

Anyway, it is straight now, and the stress is off of it. You can tell from the cracks having a small gap in them and didn't close back up. Now I can fix the cracks and the frame will be ready. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds