any beekeepers in the house?

More
24 Mar 2016 20:00 - 24 Mar 2016 20:02 #10936 by Trouty56
Good luck. The place I am getting my NUC from emailed me and let me know I may not receive mine till July. I'll probably have to feed heavy till the fall flow and hopefully they will build up enough to winter well....I hope to split next year and then go with 2 hives. I just hope I have success. I'm sure you are the same.
I did find an old keeper that has some things for me to buy......got lucky there.
BTW...I have watched so many videos....yes the fat bee man....that I have a hard time finding one I haven't seen....lol

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 20:02 by Trouty56.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
24 Mar 2016 20:18 #10937 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic any beekeepers in the house?
I wanna see the fat bee man. :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!

More
14 Apr 2016 20:37 #11156 by Trouty56
Been working on the hive...like I said before it is a horizontal design...takes the standard deep frames...hopefully you will be able to see from the start to where I am now. I need to hinge the top, cover the top with white flashing, figure out the bottom (screen or solid bottom), design some entrance restriction, put some legs on it, and paint it. Need some kind of follower board and 30 frames.... It's getting there....

Bob T

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

• Geno
    Super Users
More
14 Apr 2016 22:44 #11159 by Geno
LIKE!! :10

How do you get the bees in there?

Welcome to the Stables!

More
15 Apr 2016 05:08 #11161 by Trouty56

Geno wrote: LIKE!! :10

How do you get the bees in there?

Top comes off...right now it just sets on there. But I am going to hinge it. Then there will be 6 inch boards covering the frames (this is so I disturb only a small part of the hive at a time....). When I get the "NUC" I will set the 5 frames in the hive with some empty frames along with whatever bees I can easily get in the hive (the queen is a must). The rest will find the queen. A solid "follower" board will keep the bees limited to a certain area and I will move the solid board and add frames as the empty ones get filled. There are 3 entrances but to begin with I will only used 1 and when the hive gets bigger I will open the center so the workers can go straight to the honey frames and can avoid the brood frame and the nursery workers.
This is from my own research and I hope to have assistance from a mentor bee keeper.

Bob T

More
15 Apr 2016 06:16 #11162 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic any beekeepers in the house?
Interesting design, never seen one like it. :thumb1

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
    Super Users
More
15 Apr 2016 07:40 #11166 by Geno
Sounds like there was a lot to learn there Bob. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
15 Apr 2016 10:59 #11170 by Trouty56

GT 14 wrote: Interesting design, never seen one like it. :thumb1

Does it makes sense to you GT??

Bob T

More
16 Apr 2016 06:39 #11180 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic any beekeepers in the house?

Trouty56 wrote:

GT 14 wrote: Interesting design, never seen one like it. :thumb1

Does it makes sense to you GT??

I looked at the design online and see that is is a new one that would have advantages in the winter. The Queen excluder might be the biggest challenge.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
16 Apr 2016 17:11 #11182 by Trouty56
I am hoping I can figure that out....I believe the idea is to be able to keep track of where she is and move the frames around to keep her at the one end....however....an excluder can be made from cutting one down and framing it up....I shouldn't have to worry with that for this year at least.....maybe even next....just keep giving her frames in between.....then keep full honey frames between the brood area and the empty honey frames....I'll learn as I go I suppose....now I came across a guy that may split his hive for me.....free bees....maybe....maybe not....

Bob T

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds