How To Make An 18 Automatic Into A 23 Automatique LSE

More
09 Jun 2015 18:46 #5607 by JERSEYHAWG
I love watching these come back to life. Super,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Glenn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2016 12:06 #11391 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
"I noticed that the fenders did not cover the whole width of the 12" wheels / tires, so I took the pair from my tractor I was restoring and the pair from my parts tractor to a friend who does welding, and asked if he would trim off opposing edges
and weld the other pieces together to make 2 extra wide fenders."

I decided to have a go at adding duals onto the rear, 15" x 7" Ag's instead of the single 12"s. This modification meant either having to opt for the {between the rim} spacers or the two hubs, per extra long axle. I chose the later, This was due to more than just one consideration: A.) I just simply do not prefer the between the rim spacers, B.) It allows for greater flexibility in the type of metal that the axle shafts can be machined from, C.) This method also alleviates any pre-existing wear or stresses that the original shafts may have. I do realize this approach can prove to be quite a more costly endeavor; however, I read of a gentleman that was going to make a pair of axles to the original specs {except for the type of metal} in a post on another forum, and was able to purchase a pair from him in an extra long length to the specs I needed in order to accommodate the dual hubs, at what I considered to be far less than what they are worth {not to mention what they would have cost retail.} We selected 4140 turned, ground and polished for the metal type, and a Rockwell hardness of 54 or 60 via magnetic induction heat-treating. shafts turned out exceptionally nice with absolutely no issues. Not really an update so much as I just wanted to post the pics of the extra long duals axles. I placed the original length Wheel Horse axle next to the pair of new ones for comparison.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
08 May 2016 19:13 #11395 by Geno
I think that is the absolute best way to do duals, nice job! :10

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23 AUTOMATIC LSE

More
08 May 2016 20:32 #11396 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks Geno, I'm glad I am not the only one that feels like the extra long axle / dual hubs approach is the best way to go. I am going to try to upload some more pics, but it may be awhile as I have too many projects going on right now.

More
09 May 2016 16:15 #11401 by nappypappy
:10 :10 :smile2 :goodjob

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

More
03 Jun 2016 23:36 #11663 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Had a go at doing a mock-up of the transaxle assembled with the extra long axles for duals. I bolted a N.O.S. "T" - Brake disc to the inner hub. I also added a second axle spacer sleeve, between the two hubs. Just for looks a couple items to sort of bling it a bit, the chrome dipstick {316 stainless steel} and the N.O.S. rear hitch.

More
04 Jun 2016 04:07 #11664 by nappypappy
Very nice indeed....love the chrome.......................................:smile2 :10 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

More
04 Jun 2016 05:31 #11665 by Trouty56
Nice....Mark you are awesome!!

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
04 Jun 2016 06:02 #11666 by GT 14
Really nice, the disk brake is a great idea.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
04 Jun 2016 07:46 #11668 by Geno
Superb work Mark! Always look forward to updates on this one. :thumb1