• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
02 Mar 2022 19:03 - 03 Mar 2022 08:09 #17603 by Geno
Finishing up.

Hint #51 - Install the seals. Some transmissions only had one axle seal per side, this one came out with double seals on the axles so it will go back the same way.
Hint #52 - Check the keys to make sure they are smooth, or replace them if you wish. It will make things easier to assemble.
Hint #53 - Install the keys into any shafts that have them then test fit the pulleys and hubs, they should slide on and off easily by hand.
Hint #54 - Time for the white lithium again, put it on all the shafts, the shifter areas, shifter hole and rear hitch pin hole as seen in the pics.
Hint #55 - Install the pulleys + hubs, also the old fluid fill plug if you haven't already.
Hint #56 - Install the brake band and rod, set the brake band tension with the nut on the rod where it engages at least to the 1st notch and locks by hand with as much force as you can do by hand.
Hint #57 - Install the shifter and set the set screw where it is snug, shift the shifter and make sure it is tight but doesn't bind when going through every gear, then tighten the jam nut.
Hint #58 - Install the main drive belt.
Hint #59 - Install the clutch spring.
Hint #60 - Install the rear hitch.

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 03 Mar 2022 08:09 by Geno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
03 Mar 2022 08:31 - 03 Mar 2022 08:34 #17605 by Geno
Checking your work and filling.

** Double check your work before filling the transmission. Check all the plugs, case bolts, pulley locks and/or bolts, shifter operation, etc. You should be done minus filling and final tractor assy.

** Filling Hint - Unless you want to take all day filling the transmission there is an easy trick. If you noticed in the steps above we never installed the dipstick tube, that was on purpose. You can fill the transmission before installing it and it will only take a minute. The hole will be bigger and the air will escape through the bolt holes for the rear tank bracket.

** Most of these newer transmissions call for 90W in the manual, a straight 90W is very hard to find anymore but 80W-90 was the replacement and works fine.

Hint #61 - Fill the transmission, this one takes 2 qts. You can consult your manual for fluid type and capacity for your specific tractor.
Hint #62 - You can estimate where your dipstick sits for double checking. In the 3rd pic I have the dipstick sitting where it would if the tube was installed on this one to double check the level.
Hint #63 - Make sure it is at the top full mark, if it's a little over that's ok, with everything inside being dry it will go down a little after use.
Hint #64 - Install the dipstick tube and dipstick.
Hint #65 - If you like you can let it sit overnight and double check for leaks.
Last Hint is optional but recommended - Take a good look at what you have done and be happy + proud of your work. :thumb1

** In the last pic are all the parts that were replaced. I make it a point to always show them to the customer and give them the option of taking any of them they want, or I can throw them away. :yes

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 03 Mar 2022 08:34 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
03 Mar 2022 08:46 #17606 by Geno
This tutorial has most of the tips and tricks I know to make this job easier to do. Make no mistake, doing a good job takes time, but a lot of these tips even though they take time will save a lot of time, stress, and choice words in doing the job.

A lot of this is not in the manual, but things I have added after over 40 years of learning from manufacturers, other older wiser men, working on my own things, and my own experience as owner of a repair shop for 28 years.

I hope this tutorial was helpful. If anyone sees anything they think I missed or something they want to know just give me a call at the shop and I'll fix it. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds