Gray factory Wheel Horse

More
26 Jul 2015 21:22 - 26 Jul 2015 21:28 #7147 by David81
Seen this Gray Wheel Horse for sale today looks to be a newer model twin cylinder ......I didn't catch the number but it looks kinda like a c-175 I seen a picture of one on here anyone know what model it could be and pictures if you have them ......Thanks a head of time :)

Wheel Horse want- A -Be
Last edit: 26 Jul 2015 21:28 by David81.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2015 22:11 #7155 by David81
Replied by David81 on topic Gray factory Wheel Horse
Ok I got my question answered on another post I'm pretty sure it was a Work Horse anyway mods if you want go ahead and take this one down or I would delete it my self not sure how to do that yet.

Wheel Horse want- A -Be

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
27 Jul 2015 08:35 #7165 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Gray factory Wheel Horse
You're right, the gray ones are Work Horses. I think they started with them in 69 but they were red. If it was gray it prob looked like a 300 series. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
27 Jul 2015 10:07 #7171 by AJ WH Ranger

David81 wrote: Seen this Gray Wheel Horse for sale today looks to be a newer model twin cylinder ......I didn't catch the number but it looks kinda like a c-175 I seen a picture of one on here anyone know what model it could be and pictures if you have them ......Thanks a head of time :)

So I have asked several people about the "Work Horse" because I was very curious why they would make another Horse if the original "Wheel Horse" brand was so popular. After hours and days of researching and asking some of the ole' timers here is what I found out about them.

So about the time they came out with them (Work Horse) the price of garden tractors were getting cheaper and probably due to the cost of the Wheel Horse and Kohler engines there wasn't enough profit margin to compete with the other brands dropping the prices. So in an effort to get another tractor out there to compete with the others, the "Work Horse" was born. And really the only true difference was the briggs engine and a couple cost saving modifications to the body. And of course the gray paint scheme.

Now with that being said, Some of the "Wheel Horse" purist out there, somewhat look down on them because it doesn't have ole' reliable, the Kohler single cylinder and red paint. That statement is based on my personal opinion. I, however, think they are absolutely fine tractors and there are many that absolutely love that machine. I don't own one but if I came across one at the right price i would pop on it for sure.

Now if anyone has anything to add or you need to correct me because I'm way off base please do.

Sorry for the extremely long post but hopefully that will give you a new look at the "Work Horse".

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
27 Jul 2015 10:26 #7180 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Gray factory Wheel Horse
That's pretty correct as far as the 300 series body style. The older red Work Horses were a little different. They dropped the Kohler and the 8 speed for a 4 speed in 69 + 71, but they did add the electric clutch to a lot of them.

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81

More
30 Jul 2015 06:33 #7273 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic Gray factory Wheel Horse
Kinda think the older ones were just a name like Charger, Raider, Work Horse, etc..... AJ is right on with the GT line of Work Horse. They make good diesel conversions because the Briggs had a 1 inch crank....like most diesels....the pto sleeve will cross over easily.....and there is no choke lever on the dash.....lol
Don Varos had a real nice GT-1848 at the show for sale.....real pretty tractor!!!

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds