WHEEL HORSE CHARGER 12,,,,,HYDROMATIC,,QUESTION

More
21 Jun 2015 12:34 #6068 by JERSEYHAWG
Fellas, I might look at a charger 12 hydromatic, all I know so far is it doesnt run. I dont even know the year, from the 2 pictures I have seen of it I note there is no attachment lift handle, I see there is a control down between your legs so I assume a hydro lift also. The question is, without it running can it be pushed to get it on a trailer? Also the owner is asking 450 for it, is that a fair price to ask? Personally I was thinking to offer maybe 350, but I dont want to take advantage either, its some old timer in his 80s. The pictures are on red square, the member named buzz in south jersey, its his friend that is selling it. Any information you guys can give me will help with my decision. Oh, I dont think there is a deck either, not sure on that yet.

Thanks fellas, Glenn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
21 Jun 2015 14:16 #6072 by Geno
I get calls on my CL ad every day with someone selling a tractor that doesn't run. I've gotten burned a few times and I have a canned answer for everyone. Lots of unanswered questions if it doesn't run, is the trans is any good, does it charge, what works and what doesn't? I pay $100.00 tops, tractor only, if it doesn't run and that is absolutely final.

Never listen to this "Everything worked and it ran last year when I parked it" garbage.  :nono :laughing

Welcome to the Stables!

More
21 Jun 2015 14:25 #6073 by JustinW.73
I'm with Geno on this one. I'd go 100 bucks if theres no attachments. 450 is way to much to spend on a guess. Really, unless you really know a lot about engines and how to determine if they will run and about hydros then I'd stay away from it unless he would do 100. And Kohlers are prone to get an egged journal, so it might knock. Now there is ways to find out if there is a knock, but most people wouldn't allow you to do that to their machine. I bet you could get her running, and I would put my money on it that the rear is good (especially if its a sun-strand). Thats what I got to say.

1973 No Name 16
1966 856
1964 854
198? 520H
Way too many decks
1966 f100

More
21 Jun 2015 15:47 #6074 by JERSEYHAWG
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Glenn

More
21 Jun 2015 20:51 #6081 by Trouty56
There is a valve under the seat to release the tranny.....and there is a tranny lock so the belt tensioner will have to be engaged....... Buzz in South Jersey....been a member on RS for a while.....it is a good looking tractor..
I have a Charger....the Chargers and the Electras have a real good rear in them....yes hydrostatic.....hydro lift was an option for the Charger (I stole an assembly from an Electra), all Electras had it plus an electric clutch.....

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
The following user(s) said Thank You: JERSEYHAWG

• Geno
    Super Users
More
21 Jun 2015 20:59 #6082 by Geno
If he's a Horse guy and been on RS awhile it surprises me that it doesn't run. :confused1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
21 Jun 2015 21:48 #6083 by Trouty56
It isn't his....he is posting it for a friend....looks nice.....but still.... I have never paid more than 225 for a runner.....

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
22 Jun 2015 00:04 #6088 by JERSEYHAWG

Geno wrote: If he's a Horse guy and been on RS awhile it surprises me that it doesn't run. :confused1

Yea Gene, like Bob says its a friend of Buzzs tractor. Buzz is the red square guy. I am not 100 percent sure, but I dont think his friend is a RS guy. When I hear the prices you guys pay for the wheel horse you find,,,,,,,,,I am ready to fall over. Lol

Glenn

• Geno
    Super Users
More
22 Jun 2015 08:00 #6091 by Geno
Thanks Bob + Glenn, makes more sense now. :)

I just don't pay a lot for something that I have no idea what I'm getting. Been burned a few times too many and there are more that show up every day. I just priced a Charger 12 auto to Rhodes for $350.00 and it runs, drives, charges, and everything works. It's also been serviced, wheels and everything painted except the sheet metal...

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JERSEYHAWG

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds