• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
20 Jul 2021 19:06 #17165 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Building a New Hill Mower
I got the panels blasted and ready for paint, did a test fit and noticed the belt disengage lever had been hitting the bottom panel and slot in the tower. It was always a little hard to move but I decided to take it apart and see what was going on. Looks like when the idler pulley was put on it the bolt was hitting the tower and pushing the lever out. I noticed the lock washer was missing from the idler bolt, it was gonna be an easy fix for a change... A new lock washer on the bolt spaced it away from the tower and it snaps right down when you push it and is centered in the tower slot and panel like it should be. I like easy for a change, easy is good. :tounge2

Also, if anyone puts the newer steps on the older tractors and they don't sit on the rods right, the front and rear rods on the newer ones are a little shorter so the rods on the older ones have to be cut down just a little. Past suppertime now, more tomorrow if it doesn't get to wild around here. :hungry2

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Jul 2021 09:43 #17170 by Geno
Got a few things done yesterday early morning but then it got very wild around here. :whew

Panels are decaled and on, steps, rear fender pan, and all the panels are on, then I got out the buffer and decided to buff the rear fender and hood. Needless to say when you see the pics I've never had one clean up this good so it will prob just leave this one all original. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Jul 2021 12:00 - 22 Jul 2021 12:02 #17171 by Geno
The original muffler on the new motor was starting to rot, the bracket was broken, and I really wanted the original 312A muffler on this one with the chrome guard but it just wasn't gonna happen without taking up too much time. I cut the original pipe off the muffler and played around with it but the flange was cracked and already repaired once and it just wasn't going to last either. Nothing can be easy you know... :tounge2

The quickest and best way to get it fixed was to stack it. It was time to grab a piece of flat stock, fire up the iron worker, make a new heavier flange, and weld a heavy double wall pipe to it for a stack. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 12:02 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Jul 2021 13:50 #17172 by Geno
Exhaust is painted and on, she got a few fancy things, a nice original WH seat and the chrome front Horse hood emblem off of the other one, she is really happy now. :woo

It's been run for 15 mins to heat it up and change the oil, time to sneak out and mow a little now while she drains and everything is quiet... :jump1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Jul 2021 18:45 #17173 by Geno
Here are some before and after shots, it came out much nicer than I ever imagined. :thumb1

I have to get some pics next to the 414, they are both the same year too, 1987. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Jul 2021 18:58 - 22 Jul 2021 19:00 #17174 by Geno
Next step was to get out the old 414 deck that we bought with the 414 new. It's been awhile since this has been out of the garage and needs a good cleaning the next time the steamer is out. :thumb

The hole on the right rear in the first pic isn't rust, it's solid as new, it was dirt blasted there over many years of mowing mole hills, dang moles... :tounge2

The last pic is after mowing all the hills and banks, it did great job and there is now a new family Wheel Horse here at home. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 19:00 by Geno.

More
22 Jul 2021 21:09 #17175 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: Next step was to get out the old 414 deck that we bought with the 414 new. It's been awhile since this has been out of the garage and needs a good cleaning the next time the steamer is out. :thumb

The hole on the right rear in the first pic isn't rust, it's solid as new, it was dirt blasted there over many years of mowing mole hills, dang moles... :tounge2

The last pic is after mowing all the hills and banks, it did great job and there is now a new family Wheel Horse here at home. :thumb1

Looks great but deck should be in the front i think and i no why i think that cause mine is...easy to grease, easy clean..........:2cents :smile2 :2cents :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Jul 2021 11:42 #17183 by Geno
Hey mine is easy to clean lol. :tounge2 :rolling3 :hiding

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Jul 2021 11:45 #17184 by Geno
My 414-8 got to meet the new family member today, and they are both the same age, both 1987. :10

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
31 Jul 2021 08:12 - 31 Jul 2021 08:13 #17187 by Geno
My personal 520 and 60" deck was sold and picked up a few days ago and the new hill mower is out in the 1 1/2 car garage where I keep the mowing crew. No more Onan troubles for this guy to have to deal with anymore, what a relief... :tounge2

Nothing blows snow like a 2 stage on a 520 so I will have to keep one 520 worker for the 2 stage blower, it will be the one that is in pics here and there with the cab on it but the engine is already toast. Once the engine is replaced with something else and the wiring redone it will be a good trouble free tractor, the tractor also is in like new condition body and paint wise so it's worth putting the funds into it. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 08:13 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds