• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
01 Nov 2019 18:37 #15624 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Welding Table
We've been using this table like crazy but it got cleared off enough today to see what was done with the square tubing blocks and lock downs. We made a tool to tighten and loosen the set screws with, the top picture frame is also done and it's removable.

All that's in it now are some 5 foot and some shorter supports, saw horses, or whatever we can use them for tubing pieces We haven't made any seats or accessories to slide in the holders yet but I'm sure we will as time or need allows. I'll update this topic as we add more things to it. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Apr 2020 19:00 #15925 by Geno
The old rough, wavy, ugly 1/4" top is off, it has 1/2" under it. :whew Someone had heated on it and really messed the 1/4" up. It will be good to get the 1/2" piece on the floor out of my way and where it belongs. Too many projects lol. :jump1

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Apr 2020 19:06 #15926 by Geno
Some of the guys from the welding shop came up and helped me get the new top on. I thought I may squish myself trying to put a 1,020 lb top on by myself... Those guys are the best. :yes

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
03 May 2020 00:10 #15936 by JustinW.73
Replied by JustinW.73 on topic Welding Table
Looks great Gene!

1973 No Name 16
1966 856
1964 854
198? 520H
Way too many decks
1966 f100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Sep 2023 19:05 #18104 by Geno
Well it's been almost 3 1/2 years since the last post in here but I'm back to doing more mods to the welding table... 

I really want more storage + organization close by instead of scattered all over the shop.  Then I can round up everything to do with the work done on that table from all over the shop, and be able to keep the table clear at most all times.  I got to it today and for starters it's getting Fastenal drawers on the end I use the most.  It had a divided tray on that end prob for welding rods.  It was a real paint to get out but it's out.    

I hope to get that part mostly done tomorrow.  I think I can modify the parts from the Fastenal standard fixtures and squeeze about 15 drawers on that end.  It's getting a few other mods but I haven't figured them all out yet.  I need to make sure to maximize the storage on it this time and be done with it since I made the time, and can get to it...   

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Sep 2023 18:41 #18106 by Geno
These are actually pics from yesterday after figuring out the setup, and getting it all cut and on the bench. 

After that everything got blasted and painted last night so it could get wrapped up today.  Looks like I'm running a day behind.  It's all done and will post the pics of that progress tomorrow. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Sep 2023 09:01 #18107 by Geno
First thing yesterday was wrapping up the mods to the rack.  When it was cut down to 5 bins the rear stay to keep the wire racks from sliding back was lost so new ones were made.  I thought I may use the singles somewhere else so they were kept intact. 

Next step was to cut down a horizontal beam and weld it to the bench to be a drawer hook for the top bins.  The bins were all moved upward from the original design so this would work out.  There was no way to mount one in the shortened side angle with the slots, there was too much stuff in the way.  Not the biggest deal, I like doing custom stuff and figuring out this type of stuff anyway.  Nothing better than a good challenge.    

Next up was welding a piece of 1 1/2" x 2" 1/4" thick angle iron across the right side to support a shelf.  I have about 300 feet of it from an old feeder we took down at the farm years ago and thought it would come in handy one day.  Nice thing is it already has holes in it to mount shelves to, easy peasy lol.  

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Sep 2023 13:45 #18108 by Geno
Drawer setup was finished this morning and working on the shelf behind it now.  Mounting the bin unit ended up to be easy, just 2 bolts in the front center rail took care of it.  I may be able to get more done in less time and be able to find things now... 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Sep 2023 18:17 - 09 Sep 2023 20:44 #18109 by Geno
Shelf is in.  I used one of the 5/8" cabinet grade finished plywood shelves, I have a lot of them leftover from the parts dept redo years ago.  I can use it for support and cover it in a thinner steel later and avoid the cost of using 1/4" steel...  

After that I got sidetracked doing some cleaning, arranging, and putting stuff in the bins.  Metalworking stuff that was all over the shop is being moved to the welding bench bins and new spots are opening up for other things.  There was a roll around with a door that had the 6 red + yellow bins in it stuffed with metal working supplies, it's now empty and it all fit in 3 Fastenal bins.  It's more organized, easy to find, see when I need to reorder things, and all in the metalworking spot.  All of the hacksaw stuff was on the rear workbenches.  Sometimes a project uses a dozen clamps but no use keeping all of them out getting in the way so some are going in a bin.  I also found out after putting some of them away that one is missing and around here somewhere it doesn't belong... 

There will still be plenty of space and some empty bins when this is done.  It's nice to have everything organized, put in bins out of sight, and near the right workspace so I can find it. Now I can do the happy dance lol. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2023 20:44 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Sep 2023 19:23 - 23 Sep 2023 19:26 #18125 by Geno
The new test bench isn't finished but good enough to use so it's time to move on to that end of the welding bench like originally planned.  There's a lot of space and 1/3 of the drawers are still empty on the test bench so that end of the welding bench just got some angle iron welded in for shelves under the turn table.  There's a lot of space on the back side where I can keep press adapters and such there, get rid of that clutter, and keep things close to the press.

I spent my first $30.00 on these projects for a long 16 outlet strip for the front of the bench.  It came in from Amazon today.  It works good with the extra cord reel I already had that was just put up on the wall for it.      I've learned it's best to keep things movable around here...

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 19:26 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds