Drive Groomer

More
07 Jan 2016 09:09 #9850 by M Bailey
Drive Groomer was created by M Bailey
For years I've used push blades, rakes and shovels to maintain my gravel drive, all at the expense of sore muscles and an aching back. Necessity is the mother of invention it's said and that is what finally drove me to make an implement to do the manual labor for me.

The latest creation from the secret lab "The Gravel Groomer". Pretty corny right?

Started life as a 2'X4' sheet of 1/4" curved plate steel. Add a draw bar of 2-1/2" square post welded to a 2 X 5/8 X 6" piece of bar stock with a 1/2" hole drilled for the hitch pin. 2' of 1" square post attached to the center line of the blade provide the attach point for the draw bar. Looks like an "Erector Set" so far.

Add a diagonal brace made of 1-1/2 X 1/4 bar stock to stabilize the L-R movement (later on the diagonal will have extra holes for left or right orientation). Add another 60 pounds of steel bar and it looks like this...

Took it out in this configuration and it did "okay" but I knew it could do better, back to the garage it went. Time to pull the welder out and go back to work. Added 10 1-1/2" scarifiers made of #3 grade 60 rebar welded to a piece of 1" square stock that runs the length of the blade.

The scarifiers engage at a 45 degree angle due to the curvature of the blade.

Time for another test run mounted on the 704 :omy .

And the results of a few passes. Wish I'd taken a before pic

In conclusion I'm really happy with the performance. In retrospect I wish that I had the foresight to make the scarifiers 4" long and center them in the bar, that way there would have been a fresh set waiting to be flipped over. Word of caution, if the governor kicks in, lean forward immediately and push the clutch!>( :whew This blade will go on the 416-8 in the spring for more driveway and garden work, should be good for debris and crust busting.

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2016 09:56 #9852 by AJ WH Ranger
Replied by AJ WH Ranger on topic Drive Groomer
Very Nice!

I love seeing people create implements for their specific applications. However this one is useful for many people!

Thats it, mass produce and put on the store!

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
The following user(s) said Thank You: M Bailey

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
07 Jan 2016 10:08 #9856 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Drive Groomer
That is a nice piece Major! It has a ton of applications. :thumb1

I'm with AJ here, let me know when you get them made and we'll put them in the store. :woo

Welcome to the Stables!

More
07 Jan 2016 19:14 #9866 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic Drive Groomer
Like!!

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
The following user(s) said Thank You: M Bailey

More
09 Jan 2016 08:27 #9888 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Drive Groomer
:10 :drinks

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
09 Jan 2016 09:12 #9889 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic Drive Groomer
:goodjob :smile2

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds