• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
23 Jun 2016 14:48 - 23 Jun 2016 14:49 #11841 by Geno
This one had some really bad leaking tine shaft seals. It took quite awhile to get the tines off and once I saw the seals I knew couldn't get them out. There was only 1 and it was driven in deep. I took it outside and gave it a good washing, then brought it back in the shop to take it apart. I found a little world of problems inside. :doh

There was a single needle bearing missing on the input side of the input shaft, and no seal at all, no seal was even installed. The bearings also ran sideways because of this and damaged the input shaft... There was also a single needle bearing missing from one of the rear shaft bearings, and the other rear bearing was locked up. The input shaft retaining clip was sprung and the gear and shaft were walking around.

I'm getting ready to get out some new bearings, clean up the shafts, and see what we got. And YES, someone has been in it before. :angry

:rolling

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 14:49 by Geno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2016 16:35 #11842 by nappypappy
I wonder what you will do with it when its finished...oh never mind but I know a 416-8 that it would look good behind........and no reply needed...............:hiding :smile2

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Jun 2016 16:50 #11845 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Going through another tiller
I'm looking for all of these I can find, would like to have 20-30 more right now if anyone's selling lol. Started out the season with 12 and sold 11 in less than 2 weeks. The only reason #12 is still here is I have to tear it down like this one.

This is the one I just bought and thought it would be easy... I have several people coming this weekend and one person wants a tiller with a tractor and some other things so I thought I would fix it. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
23 Jun 2016 16:52 #11846 by Kurt-NEPA
New bearings, seal, and paint and will be like new. Somebody's getting a nice tiller!

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

More
23 Jun 2016 16:58 #11848 by nappypappy

Kurt-NEPA wrote: New bearings, seal, and paint and will be like new. Somebody's getting a nice tiller!

Yeah you right....he does great work and a great person on top of that even if he is a hoarder.................:smile2

1985 416-8
520-H

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Jun 2016 17:00 #11849 by Geno
I forgot the pics...

I used the clean up the shafts on the lathe trick, that thing comes in handy and does things fast. The seals should seal and the main input shaft should be ok, you can see the little ridge on it where the bearing damaged it from the needle missing but it's very slight. We have all of the parts in stock NOS to do several of these. Will let the paint dry overnight and put it back together tomorrow. :)

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Jun 2016 17:04 #11850 by Geno

Kurt-NEPA wrote: New bearings, seal, and paint and will be like new. Somebody's getting a nice tiller!

Someone from Ohio, it's on a note here somewhere... I was thinking of you cleaning the shafts that you would be proud lol. :rolling

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
23 Jun 2016 17:08 #11851 by Geno

nappypappy wrote:

Yeah you right....he does great work and a great person on top of that even if he is a hoarder.................:smile2

How can I fix and save stuff if I don't hoard stuff? :rolling3

Welcome to the Stables!

More
23 Jun 2016 18:21 #11852 by nappypappy

Geno wrote:

nappypappy wrote:

How can I fix and save stuff if I don't hoard stuff? :rolling3

Well you do have a point there... and there's a fine line between hoarding and running a business like yours...so the way I see it is its hoarding till somebody needs something then its a business deal.......................and on the other hand I wish I could hoard like you and make money at the same time......:smile2

1985 416-8
520-H

More
23 Jun 2016 18:38 #11853 by Kurt-NEPA

Geno wrote:

I was thinking of you cleaning the shafts that you would be proud lol. :rolling

Finally we see some lathe work. Well done,

Kurt

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers