PTO Clutch Disc DIY

More
20 Mar 2015 09:41 #1417 by M Bailey
PTO Clutch Disc DIY was created by M Bailey
PTO clutch discs are expensive, to the tune of $70 and up plus shipping. Here I am replacing the clutch material with a part number B2354R used in JD B 50 520 530 as a transmission clutch disc. The disc is 7" in diameter compared to the factory 6.75" which is not a factor as it causes no issue with interference with any other parts. This part is readily available on ebay and numerous other places for less than $20. It just requires a little more time to install.

First remove the PTO pulley for access to the friction disc retaining bolts.

Now is a good time to check the grease seal and bearings for wear. If the disc has grease on it do yourself a favor and replace the seal!

Here is a good example of a bad seal.

After removing the clutch disc drill out the back of the rivets and punch them out to remove the disc from the backing plate.

Now rough the surface of the backing disc with a sander or grinder so the adhesive will have something to grip.

Measure and mark 1.3 inches from the edge of the center hole outward in several locations then place the new disc over the marks and outline the circumference.

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kurt-NEPA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2015 09:52 #1418 by M Bailey
Replied by M Bailey on topic PTO Clutch Disc DIY
Part II

Apply JB-Weld or you favorite epoxy to the area outside the mark on the backing disc.

Carefully place the new disc on the backing plate aligning it with the center marking.

Apply light pressure to the assembly and allow 24 hours to cure. A press is great if you have one but a brick would work if that's all you have. Just be sure that the disc stays centered!

After 24 hours your new disc is ready to reassemble and you saved >$50 in the process!

Major

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno, Trouty56, nappypappy, Scott, Kurt-NEPA

More
21 Mar 2015 06:18 #1472 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic PTO Clutch Disc DIY
Great write up and pic. I will use this method for sure. :thumb1

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
21 Mar 2015 16:36 #1510 by M Bailey
Replied by M Bailey on topic PTO Clutch Disc DIY
Thanks GT! I've replaced three of these so far, a C-101, C-161 and a 416-8 and all perform great for a modest amount of cash compared to the factory replacement cost.

Major

The following user(s) said Thank You: GT 14

More
21 Mar 2015 16:53 #1512 by GT 14
I especially like the idea of using the press for a clamp, Pure genius!

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
21 Mar 2015 18:45 #1526 by Scott
Replied by Scott on topic PTO Clutch Disc DIY
I have made 3 of these but i used clutch material from McMaster carr and had to cut it out off a square sheet. This is a lot easer and about the same price. If you don't have a press, just park a tractor over the clutch disk for the night. Just be careful not to shift the material.

More
22 Mar 2015 05:03 #1537 by GT 14

Scott wrote: I have made 3 of these but i used clutch material from McMaster carr and had to cut it out off a square sheet. This is a lot easer and about the same price. If you don't have a press, just park a tractor over the clutch disk for the night. Just be careful not to shift the material.

I have a press, but always looking for new life hacks. :idea

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds