New Fuse holder - Now it's just Dead

More
01 Feb 2019 22:15 #15182 by GoBucks
I've been having issues with the fuses not being in tight, the connectors were loose and corroded. I bought a new fuse holder from the store here and finally got around to installing it today while the weather was nice.

I took one wire off at a time and put them on the new fuse holder the the same location. I planned to solder the connections, but the wires were so thick they wouldn't heat up enough. I just stripped the ends back and used wire nuts and electrical tape. The 30 Amp had 2 white wires connected to it.

I put everything back together and nothing, the dash lights don't come on, turn the key, nothing happens. The headlights didn't work before, I had hoped this would fix that as they worked when I bought it in Memphis, but 3 hours later when I got home, they only worked intermittently.

Note the original middle fuse only had 1 wire attached to anything. The other wire was just cut off at the end and had a wire nut on it. I thought that was strange.

So, troubleshooting. I used a volt meter, the battery is still good.
I tested the fused, they were Ok
Next, I tested from ground to the fuses. Only the 30 Amp one shows 12V the other show 0V.
I called Geno, nothing obvious, so.
I disconnected all 5 wire nuts, some of the wires I stripped back a little more to make certain they were contacting the other wires well.
I reconnected everything, still nothing.

So, where to begin? Should I be seeing voltage on the other fuses? Is the mystery wire on the middle fuse supposed to connect to something?

Any tests, like jumping the battery directly to the starter? Which is what helped determine the fuse holder was bad it would start just fine if I used a jumper wire to bypass it.

I'm guessing 1 of 2 things.
1. I some how didn't put the wires back in the same spots after all.
2. Something else came loose.

Pictures of the original fuse holder attached.

Annoyed, this should be very simple.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
02 Feb 2019 08:40 - 02 Feb 2019 08:41 #15184 by Geno
Morning Sam. There is a tutorial on doing this here - 520 Fuse Block Install

I added a pic and a PDF file of the wiring diagram to it this morning. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 02 Feb 2019 08:41 by Geno.

More
02 Feb 2019 12:04 #15185 by GoBucks
Thanks Geno, I'm up and running again. Headlights still don't come on though. After the tune up, that will be the next thing to resolve. I'm putting new blades on now. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds