Just quit in the middle of cutting with the head lights on

More
30 Mar 2017 21:32 - 30 Mar 2017 21:34 #13585 by GoBucks
1990 Wheel Horse 416-8 Onan

I cut my small yard, then the neighbor's front that was pretty thick in sections. I just started the first pass in the back yard and I heard a funny sound. (I had ear plugs on) It wasn't real loud, can't really describe it, kind of a spark fiz, something and it's been over an hour ago now, it was also really quick. Then it just went dead, no lights, instruments, cut off immediately.

I check the fuses, the 30 amp was really hard to get out. (It's dark at this point.) I get the leaf blower and straight screwdriver to clean out any grass. I had a 20 amp fuse in the garage, I couldn't really get it into the fuse holder, it wouldn't push down. (See picture of original fuse sitting on a roll of paper towels. The ends are gone and the plastic is swollen and discolored.)

I pushed the flat screwdriver down in the connectors of the fuse box to loosen them up a little. Put the fuse in, still nothing. I checked the other fuses, they looked OK.

So, I'm guessing the fuse box is shot? Is there a better aftermarket version with a cover available? If you have a part number or link to the item, that would be appreciated.

Any other ideas? If this blew, what is the chance it damaged something more serious and if so, what?

Thanks,
Sam
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2017 21:34 by GoBucks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2017 18:40 #13593 by GoBucks
I pulled the wires out of the 30 amp fuse holder and connected them to an inline fuse holder, I measured voltage, but still nothing.

So, what was fried? Voltage Regulator or what?

Thanks,
Sam

More
31 Mar 2017 20:01 - 31 Mar 2017 20:13 #13594 by Trouty56
I wouldn't go that route yet....the voltage regulator is more for charging and regulating the voltage created by the stator....and for converting the AC current to DC....they are referred to as a rectifier.
Probably have a short somewhere....I would start at the switch. Geno probably has an electrical schematic for you to follow.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 20:13 by Trouty56.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
31 Mar 2017 22:18 - 31 Mar 2017 22:19 #13600 by Geno
Looks like Bob has a schematic, thanks Bob. :thumb1

We have the fuse block and parts in the store here. Store Electrical

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 22:19 by Geno.

More
18 May 2017 15:43 #13725 by GoBucks
I bought a Used PC board off eBay and took it to the mechanic. He has had it a couple weeks now, so I figured what that meant. I drove by and talked to him today. He has tested everything else, he believes the Used PC Board is also bad.

Is anyone able to repair it or have one for sale?

• Geno
    Super Users
More
18 May 2017 17:07 #13727 by Geno
So why doesn't it start, has he diagnosed it? I find out what's wrong with something and if I get a bad part I know, I don't think, because I've tested it all and know... Sounds sorta like he doesn't know what the problem is yet. :waiting

Welcome to the Stables!

More
18 May 2017 17:11 #13728 by GoBucks
He said he has tested everything else. The indicator lights don't come on, the headlights won't come on, etc. He has spent a lot of time on it. He can't test the diodes on the board or the IC.

He mentioned possibly doing an engine swap and hard wiring everything. The Output shaft size is the problem though.

Without a running Wheel Horse that uses this board, it's kind of hard to test any further, unless I can get a known Good board.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
18 May 2017 20:33 #13729 by Geno
Well according to the schematic the headlights don't run through the board, either the schematic is wrong or someone had better dig a little deeper...

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
    Super Users
More
18 May 2017 20:35 #13730 by Geno
Almost forgot, no need for an engine swap either, the board can be easily bypassed...

Welcome to the Stables!

More
19 May 2017 05:41 - 19 May 2017 05:42 #13732 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: Almost forgot, no need for an engine swap either, the board can be easily bypassed...

I vote for bypassing the board like Geno said and get back to mowing..........:smile2 :bow2 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
Last edit: 19 May 2017 05:42 by nappypappy.

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds