• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
15 Dec 2022 18:13 #17926 by Geno
Hey Don.  I can look into that after all of the new stuff is done, which may be awhile.  The downloads section upgrade isn't even ready by the developer yet.  I'm working with the developer in the UK for the shoutbox because it isn't working on the testsite right yet either.  The only things getting done here are things I know will work with the systems here and that's easy little things and not a lot.  The new forum, site, and a lot of things here are not backwards compatible, and almost everything on this site is not forward compatible.  Along with it all being brand new and over 2 1/2 years in the works, it seemed now was a good time for me to start to tackle it.  On new sites it's all good, but trying to preserve almost 8 years of what can be saved from here is the problem, everyone everywhere with established sites are having the same problem.  That's why it's taking so long to get this working, is the conversion.

I talked to Dave about it yesterday and even as a top notch computer code guy he wasn't even aware of the system we're using now, let alone the new stuff.  I did fill him in on the progression of it, who started it, and what it's capable of, so he was interested and doing some reading on it while we talked. 

One thing I woke up this morning thinking...  With what was started on about a week ago I'm not even sure that all the posts made from the last week forward, (including yours) can be moved, everything that was cloned from this site has already been upgraded on both test sites and can't be restarted.  I can leave this site up and copy the text, or you can, then copy it to the new stuff in new posts, but the pics I'm thinking maybe not, will have to wait and see.  All I can do is one thing at a time once the new site is up.

This post started 1 month ago today and I've already got over 300 hours in this stuff (some doing home work before this started) and it's not done yet but it does get closer every day.  I think I've got more done on my testsites than 99% of the peeps out there that are trying to do what we're doing but most of that was done by prayers, sheer determination, troubleshooting experience, and reaching out to developers who are working hard to make all of this work as well.  There's a lot of stuff going on around here, it's not all one nice and neat package.  Dave will understand every word of this if you talk to him anytime soon.  

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snoopy11

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2022 18:23 #17927 by Snoopy11

One thing I woke up this morning thinking...  With what was started on about a week ago I'm not even sure that all the posts made from the last week forward, (including yours) can be moved, everything that was cloned from this site has already been upgraded on both test sites and can't be restarted.  I can leave this site up and copy the text, or you can, then copy it to the new stuff in new posts, but the pics I'm thinking maybe not, will have to wait and see.  All I can do is one thing at a time once the new site is up.

If my posts can't be moved... I will repost them on the new site... whatever it takes. Rest assured, I am here to stay... not going anywhere... 

Later, I will be sure to save all of my pictures in files on my desktop... that way they won't be lost. No worries there.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
15 Dec 2022 20:00 #17929 by Geno
Thanks for your understanding and dedication.  

Everything is here and can be saved, downloaded, or copied.  The posts can be copied then dropped in notepad for Windows or whatever you use, I use Linux Mint that has the equivalent.  Then the text can just be copied + pasted in a new topic on the new system saving some time and brain power lol. 

All of your posts can be seen in your profile, and every pic you put on here is in your profile under "attachment manager".  It's all here and easily accessible from your profile.  The layout is a little messed up here but fixed on the new system.  It will be a little while yet but I'll make sure none of it goes anywhere for anyone until everyone here says they're ready. 

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snoopy11

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
24 Dec 2022 14:03 - 24 Dec 2022 14:14 #17938 by Geno
I just finished up the accessibility features on both of the testsites.  They are working great although the computer voice is a little weird on my Linux system when it reads anything on the site or a post.  The screen reader and voice are set by each persons operating system on their own device, I can't change that for you but you can.  It's working good and so far working on the entire site, another step forward and another first for a website with a forum methinks, unless someone knows of another forum that can do these things and even read pages or posts to you.. 

There are some screenshots below of what it looks like.  There will be the handicap symbol on every page and once you click on it all the options will come up.  

Not on this old site but will be on the new stuff.  

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 14:14 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
27 Dec 2022 19:04 #17939 by Geno
Had a little time over the past few days and all is going really well on the testsites.  

The new operating system and forum had new updates and went right in.  A few changes were made to the forum layout, and the updated modules I use to do some of the customization on the site for the new system went on without a hitch.  The only things really left are getting the shoutbox to show without being logged in, and waiting on the downloads software new version to be released.  There is a testing version for the downloads section but it really shouldn't be used on production sites.

Other than that all that's left are little things and customization that can be done after everything else.  I'll continue to play with that as time allows over there since other things aren't ready but all is going well.   

One thing on my mind is darkening the forum layout.  I know it's just because of spending the extra time over on the testsites, but the clean and bright look is hard on the eyes over time...   I use an addon for Firefox called Dark Reader that can be customized by site or by site page, it really helps with eye strain but I know it's not something widely used so I'll prob play with the forum layout some.   It also doesn't work well on older sites so it's not completely full proof.  

I'll take a screenshot of it here with it turned on and set up for this site although it's prob way darker than what I would do on the templates. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
03 Jan 2023 16:01 - 03 Jan 2023 20:15 #17941 by Geno
Just a test to check some things.    

This message contains confidential information

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Warning: Spoiler!

testing 1/2    7 1/2  

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2023 20:15 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Jan 2023 15:22 #17944 by Geno
Still the same holdups on the new site, the new downloads program (which may get changed to something else if they don't get it ready soon), and the shoutbox problem I've been working on with the developer for over 3 weeks now.  He said it would get fixed in the next version update but nothing yet.  Plenty of other things going on around here so I'll wait a little longer I guess until time allows to finish the new site stuff.  

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
13 Jan 2023 09:13 - 13 Jan 2023 09:25 #17949 by Geno
I talked to the Shoutbox developer this morning and he has an update to fix the problem on the new system.  I installed it this morning and it is working fine now. 

Only 1 big thing left before I can get everything going here on the live site minus styling that can be done after it's here.  The downloads software peeps are still not ready so I'm going to experiment with another downloads software package on the testsite that has been ready for a long time and see how it looks and works. 

Granted this was a big leap in operating systems, plugins, modules, etc, that work with it technology, but I think I may need to move the download system to peeps that are more on the ball so to speak...   

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 13 Jan 2023 09:25 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
16 Jan 2023 18:08 #17950 by Geno
I put another downloads software setup on the testsite last Sat.  It went right on and worked well, then I spent a few hours playing with it and it didn't take long to realize how much work was put into the setup we have now and that starting from scratch was not an option.  Making every category, sub-category, and everything else involved is just a little too much...  I worked longer hours and was a bit younger back then so I'll wait a bit longer for the update on what we have now lol.  

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
24 Jan 2023 16:48 - 24 Jan 2023 16:50 #17954 by Geno
Everything is ready minus some customization that can be done later here, and the downloads software peeps still aren't ready...   Downloads stuff is still the main holdup.  

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 24 Jan 2023 16:50 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.780 seconds