Gasoline Additives

More
11 May 2015 11:32 #4314 by M Bailey
Gasoline Additives was created by M Bailey
When I was finished servicing the C-101 this morning I filled 2 six gallon gas cans at the local coop with ethanol free 91 octane and proceeded to mix up the witches brew I use as fuel in all my small engines. Each 6 gallon can gets 2 ounces of MMO, 2 ounces of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner and during mosquito season 2 ounces of castor oil. Does anyone else out there do this for their Horse fuel?

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
11 May 2015 12:09 #4315 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Gasoline Additives
I don't but it sure sounds like a smart thing to do, I may have to give that a try. Does the castor oil kill the mosquitoes?

Welcome to the Stables!

More
11 May 2015 12:12 - 11 May 2015 12:13 #4317 by AJ WH Ranger
Replied by AJ WH Ranger on topic Gasoline Additives
Wait, what is mmo for the uneducated such as my self?

MMO in my world means massive multiplayer online. :smile2

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
Last edit: 11 May 2015 12:13 by AJ WH Ranger.

More
11 May 2015 12:42 #4319 by JustinW.73
Replied by JustinW.73 on topic Gasoline Additives

AJ WH Ranger wrote: Wait, what is mmo for the uneducated such as my self?

MMO in my world means massive multiplayer online. :smile2

Marvels Mystery Oil. Really good stuff AJ. I would recommend putting it in your gas and oil. In my opinion its a LOT better than that sea foam crap. Last time I used that stuff I had to clean the carb in my snowblower because it crapped it up. MMO is WAY better.

1973 No Name 16
1966 856
1964 854
198? 520H
Way too many decks
1966 f100

More
11 May 2015 12:47 #4320 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Gasoline Additives
I used to put MMO in my cars, but it sounds smarter for the small engines. I will give it a try. Wish I could get E Zero around here.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
11 May 2015 12:54 #4322 by M Bailey
Replied by M Bailey on topic Gasoline Additives
Geno, many years ago I raced a 250 Bultaco flat tracker and always used Klotz castor based 2 cycle oil in it. A bunch of the old timers at that time swore that castor mist would stick to mosquito wings preventing them from flying. I've used it ever since (the smell reminds me of the flat track). Castor has a high flash point and passes through the combustion chamber pretty much intact and doesn't harm rubber in fuel lines and pumps as an added bonus.

AJ, sorry about the MMO abbreviation, it's what a lot of us old timers call Marvel Mystery Oil, a good upper cylinder and valve stem/guide lube.

Major

More
11 May 2015 13:29 - 11 May 2015 13:31 #4325 by AJ WH Ranger
What is the benefit if it is a "good upper cylinder and valve stem/guide lube". Why would one want that in the fuel/carburetor? Educate me or anyone else that may be lurking?

I personally think this is a great learning experience and may answer a bunch of questions for future use.

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
Last edit: 11 May 2015 13:31 by AJ WH Ranger.

More
11 May 2015 13:42 #4327 by M Bailey
Replied by M Bailey on topic Gasoline Additives

AJ WH Ranger wrote: What is the benefit if it is a "good upper cylinder and valve stem/guide lube". Why would one want that in the fuel/carburetor? Educate me or anyone else that may be lurking?

I personally think this is a great learning experience and may answer a bunch of questions for future use.

AJ here is the best explanation I can give. The upper cylinder is the area above the piston rings at any given portion of their travel and is therefore not lubricated when the piston moves up in the cylinder. Any part of the cylinder above the top ring is dry, that's why lubrication in the fuel is important. In the old days we had leaded gasoline and lead was a wonderful low friction lubricant but those days are gone (thank you EPA). The same is true for the valve stem and guide, there is no oil in the intake or exhaust area unless it's provided by the fuel. Hope some of this makes sense.

Major

The following user(s) said Thank You: GT 14

More
11 May 2015 13:50 #4328 by AJ WH Ranger

M Bailey wrote:

AJ WH Ranger wrote: What is the benefit if it is a "good upper cylinder and valve stem/guide lube". Why would one want that in the fuel/carburetor? Educate me or anyone else that may be lurking?

AJ here is the best explanation I can give. The upper cylinder is the area above the piston rings at any given portion of their travel and is therefore not lubricated when the piston moves up in the cylinder. Any part of the cylinder above the top ring is dry, that's why lubrication in the fuel is important. In the old days we had leaded gasoline and lead was a wonderful low friction lubricant but those days are gone (thank you EPA). The same is true for the valve stem and guide, there is no oil in the intake or exhaust area unless it's provided by the fuel. Hope some of this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense!! Thank you! I can now see why that would be very beneficial!

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood

More
11 May 2015 14:55 #4330 by JustinW.73
Replied by JustinW.73 on topic Gasoline Additives

M Bailey wrote: Geno, many years ago I raced a 250 Bultaco flat tracker and always used Klotz castor based 2 cycle oil in it. A bunch of the old timers at that time swore that castor mist would stick to mosquito wings preventing them from flying. I've used it ever since (the smell reminds me of the flat track). Castor has a high flash point and passes through the combustion chamber pretty much intact and doesn't harm rubber in fuel lines and pumps as an added bonus.

AJ, sorry about the MMO abbreviation, it's what a lot of us old timers call Marvel Mystery Oil, a good upper cylinder and valve stem/guide lube.

Major doesn't it clean the oil and carb, and also cleans up old oil in valve stems and guides?

1973 No Name 16
1966 856
1964 854
198? 520H
Way too many decks
1966 f100

Time to create page: 0.328 seconds