• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
26 Jun 2021 16:53 - 26 Jun 2021 16:55 #17095 by Geno
Jim's Air Horse was created by Geno
Got another Air Horse here today. It's been at another shop for 3 months and they didn't fix anything, had a big bill, and he got it back in pieces. What else is new with these so called mechanics...  :nono

Peeps don't get to see many of these so since I hadn't been putting much work up here lately I thought I would this one. :thumb

It just got a good steam cleaning and on Monday I'll start putting some of it back together so I can find the leaks he wanted fixed. The last shop tore it all apart, broke the steering wheel, now it has to go back together enough to find and fix the leaks. He drove it into the last place and got it back like you see it, minus all the cleaning I did on it today to find the leaks, watch out who works on your stuff... :whew

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2021 16:55 by Geno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2021 20:23 #17097 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic Jim's Air Horse

Geno wrote: Got another Air Horse here today. It's been at another shop for 3 months and they didn't fix anything, had a big bill, and he got it back in pieces. What else is new with these so called mechanics...  :nono

Peeps don't get to see many of these so since I hadn't been putting much work up here lately I thought I would this one. :thumb

It just got a good steam cleaning and on Monday I'll start putting some of it back together so I can find the leaks he wanted fixed. The last shop tore it all apart, broke the steering wheel, now it has to go back together enough to find and fix the leaks. He drove it into the last place and got it back like you see it, minus all the cleaning I did on it today to find the leaks, watch out who works on your stuff... :whew

that doesn't look like they worked on it looks like all they did was take it apart.....>( :2cents :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
28 Jun 2021 17:01 - 28 Jun 2021 17:10 #17098 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Jim's Air Horse
They took it apart and I'm not sure if they did anything else or not...

The man I need to talk to at the place that made the tug is out till Wed. I have the top steering cylinder plate off and found a kinked line and some hose clamps all over the place that I don't think will hold the pressure they need to. There are also 3 big washers under the cylinders that aren't shown on the parts diagram, I took pics so I can send them to Tiffin Aire on Wed. What a mess but what else is new... :doh

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 17:10 by Geno.

More
28 Jun 2021 20:52 #17099 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: They took it apart and I'm not sure if they did anything else or not...

The man I need to talk to at the place that made the tug is out till Wed. I have the top steering cylinder plate off and found a kinked line and some hose clamps all over the place that I don't think will hold the pressure they need to. There are also 3 big washers under the cylinders that aren't shown on the parts diagram, I took pics so I can send them to Tiffin Aire on Wed. What a mess but what else is new... :doh

strange in deed and them hose clamps aren't made for that...must of been worked on at jiffy lube................:smile2 :2cents :cof3 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Jun 2021 07:51 #17100 by Geno
Lol Nappy, haven't heard that one for a long time but it just may be true. :rolling3

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nappypappy

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Jun 2021 09:03 #17102 by Geno
I've been talking to the owner at Tiffin this morning and just got off the phone with him ordering parts. The steering cylinders were upgraded a long time ago, they had trouble out of the ones on this one as it was one of the very early Air Horses. For phase 1 of this job she's getting 2 new upgraded cylinders, the 2 center hoses and hardware, a new greasable kingpin for the center swivel that has a regular bolt in it now, and 2 new seats for the fender and hood that are missing. Parts will ship via UPS today and be here on this Friday or Monday.

That should be enough to get things hooked back up and under pressure, be done with the steering cylinder area, then we can go from there. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Jun 2021 14:51 #17103 by Geno
Something I was supposed to do today didn't happen so it's on to more Horse fun lol. :tounge2

If it's one thing I hate is getting into a tractor that someone's favorite tool is a welder... :doh There are some problems with the tower, bushings, a froze up pin as usual in the shift lever, and the welding was the icing on the cake. They even welded one of the tower bolts in... It's getting the tower replaced so I've been getting the old mess off and ready to get it back the way it belongs. After a few hours of cutting, splitting welds and getting the old mess off without damaging the frame it's all cleaned up and ready for a new tower. :thumb1

I have a really nice donor tower I found up on the rack/shelf in here that I need to just gut the 8 speed parts and get the auto parts freed up and out of the old one to use. It also has the outboard regulator mount to make it easier to work on in the future as the old tower had the hydro steering pump where you couldn't get to the regulator. It will literally be better than new. :smile2

Welcome to the Stables!

More
30 Jun 2021 16:06 #17105 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Jim's Air Horse
Well at least he found the Stable. Hope he didn't pay for the hack job. Guess he must want to use it.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Jun 2021 19:27 #17106 by Geno
He's a commercial airline pilot and has his own plane too. You don't want to know what it cost to make that mess, isn't it normal for peeps to make big messes and charge big money, I hear about it every day... :doh

If I ever make a movie like Nightmare at the Stables, (like Nightmare on Elm St) it will be about getting the old auto shifters apart and trying to save everything. For cryin out loud I know they have to be clean and grease free to work right but anti-seize on the main mounting pin wouldn't interfere with the workings of the rest of it. It's one of a few things that push my patience a little more than I like. :whew This one still took a long time but the fact that the tower was already garbage and the plasma cutter was close by helped a little. Good thing is I knew this would be the worst part of the job so the worst should be over.

I also blasted the replacement tower to make sure there were no cracks starting anywhere and structurally it's like a new one. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
01 Jul 2021 07:47 #17108 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: He's a commercial airline pilot and has his own plane too. You don't want to know what it cost to make that mess, isn't it normal for peeps to make big messes and charge big money, I hear about it every day... :doh

If I ever make a movie like Nightmare at the Stables, (like Nightmare on Elm St) it will be about getting the old auto shifters apart and trying to save everything. For cryin out loud I know they have to be clean and grease free to work right but anti-seize on the main mounting pin wouldn't interfere with the workings of the rest of it. It's one of a few things that push my patience a little more than I like. :whew This one still took a long time but the fact that the tower was already garbage and the plasma cutter was close by helped a little. Good thing is I knew this would be the worst part of the job so the worst should be over.

I also blasted the replacement tower to make sure there were no cracks starting anywhere and structurally it's like a new one. :thumb1

WOW what a mess that was....you need a vacation.......:cof3 :2cents :woo :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds