Why 8 Picture Limit?

More
08 May 2015 09:07 #4206 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Why is there a limit of 8 pictures per post? Thanks, Mark.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2015 09:45 - 08 May 2015 09:45 #4207 by AJ WH Ranger
Replied by AJ WH Ranger on topic Why 8 Picture Limit?
There may be a limit to actual post size. That is alot of data to transfer in a single post. So I would imagine it is necessary to keep data flowing properly. You have to remember that once you do upload it, your part is done. But the server also has to upload those with every request to see that post. That is alot of data being transferred at how many given times a day, every time someone clicks on the topic.

Now is that real reason, maybe not, but now you can imagine why there may be a limit.

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
Last edit: 08 May 2015 09:45 by AJ WH Ranger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
08 May 2015 10:21 #4210 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Why 8 Picture Limit?
AJ is right about the data transfer. We can change the amount of pics, and size per upload, file types, etc, but I hate for someone to have to wait to see a post. Totally owning the site, software, and operating system, we can increase the limit with a few clicks. Most forums are limited to what they "lease" or get for free from someone else and don't have total control over their site or forum like we do. The main reason I try to keep things less size intense on the forum is that a lot of people still don't have access to a faster internet connection speed. The front website page is another story, it has a lot going on. If there are more than 8 involved several posts can be made in a row, that way when someone opens a topic the first post will load right away and they won't have to wait. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
08 May 2015 10:51 - 08 May 2015 10:52 #4212 by AJ WH Ranger
Replied by AJ WH Ranger on topic Why 8 Picture Limit?
And not too mention all of the other data the server has to load just to format our blank screens to something wee can read easily like this text, text fonts, avatar pics to the left, all the buttons. All of this is being done/transferred to us behind the scenes. :)

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
Last edit: 08 May 2015 10:52 by AJ WH Ranger. Reason: Can't type today, think someone switched my keys around.

More
08 May 2015 20:40 #4225 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
O.K. Thanks gentlemen, I just happened to notice I could post 30+ pics on another forum all in the same post and assumed that it was standard. I originally intended to initiate a thread on a resto-mod but my layout consisted of about 20+ pics per post, just to keep them all from the same page in the same post. In order to post with an 8 pics limit the pages of my reassembly would need to be cut-up into three parts each having there own respective post. This seemed like a bit disconnected sort of a way of proceeding when certain parts are all centrally located in a given area of the tractor, which on occasion may include as many as 20-30 parts or more. Not to mention that while prepping for posting installment #2 of a 3 part post it may get pushed back as two or three replies may be added in-between. Mark.

More
08 May 2015 21:37 - 08 May 2015 21:44 #4229 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic Why 8 Picture Limit?
Hi Mark.....this may sound a bit different but why upload to multiple sites when you can reference your already uploaded images......example of an attachment of mine from RS......

and one of yours.......

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
Last edit: 08 May 2015 21:44 by Trouty56.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 May 2015 21:38 #4230 by Geno
I see the point Mark. The server here and forum can handle it without a problem. The only thing is that if someone has a slow connection they will be waiting a long time for all those pics to load.

I have weighed this and we are here to promote the Wheel Horse hobby, and try to cater to what people need from us to do so. Some may have to wait quite some time for all of the pics to load and some will not, but you should have the freedom to present this the way you want. Attachments have just been increased to 50.

Thanks for bringing this up Mark. :)

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trouty56

More
08 May 2015 21:48 - 08 May 2015 21:49 #4232 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic Why 8 Picture Limit?
OK...thought I could help...but Geno beat me to it.....:)

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
Last edit: 08 May 2015 21:49 by Trouty56.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 May 2015 21:53 - 08 May 2015 21:54 #4233 by Geno
You help all the time Bob, and that is a good idea you have. :thumb You know we try to make everything as easy as possible around here and I think changing the forum made it the easiest. :)

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 08 May 2015 21:54 by Geno.

More
08 May 2015 22:41 #4239 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks Bob, I originally did not want to post to multiple sites, I only wanted to post to Wheel Horse Stables, at the time the other forum seemed more accommodating. Thanks to Geno revising this forum I would much rather just post my resto-mod here.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds