Drained Hydro Oil, replaced Filter, Now NO GO

More
22 Feb 2019 18:39 #15234 by GoBucks
I've had it for 2 years, so I decided to drain the fluid, replace the filter and it had a leak, so I added some Lucas Oil Hydraulic Oil Booster and Stop Leak.

I poured some of the Lucas in first, the added about 1/2 quart of 10w 30 oil. Now it won't move, the deck won't go up or down.

I checked the level, it actually seems to show above. I thought letting it run a few minutes might help, it would have to fill the new oil filter, etc. No luck. Is this common when replacing the fluid and filter? Any tricks to it? Or perhaps the Lucas Oil stuff is too thick?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
22 Feb 2019 19:21 #15236 by Geno
Which tractor is this on?

As a rule I never use additives other than friction modifiers when I make certain transmission fluids. Anything that changes viscosity is not good, and stop leak is one of the worst things in the world. The old stop leak formulas had brake fluid in them on the MSDS sheets to swell up the seals, while also eating them up over time. I don't know what the newer stuff uses but it has to be toxic to swell and soften seals. It is also a temporary fix until you can do a permanent fix, that's why they don't care if it ruins the seals lol...

It has been a wild day around here so I'm ready to wash up and run home. I can provide more answers in the morning once I know what tractor we're talking about. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
22 Feb 2019 19:52 #15237 by GoBucks
1994 520H
Thanks,
Sam

More
23 Feb 2019 20:54 #15239 by GoBucks
After talking to Geno, he said the tranny holds 5 qts, I barely had 1 in on Friday. After sitting all night, the dipstick was dry. (The oil flowed down) I added more, ran it awhile, let it sit, added more, etc. I finally got it so it would move again. I still need to add more oil.

After it moved, it died on me, just shut off. Luckily I have a clear fuel filter and saw no gas was pumping in there, yeah, I just ran out of gas.

Thanks,

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
23 Feb 2019 21:49 #15240 by Geno
Yay for clear fuel filters. :woo

Welcome to the Stables!