RJ-58 and Suburban parts

More
29 Jun 2015 16:27 #6351 by FewMoreMiles
Anyone know who sells aftermarket steering wheels, or perhaps who may do restorations of existing ones? I have the 1960 Suburban torn down, and the steering wheel is pretty rough. Thanks!

Jeff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
29 Jun 2015 17:47 #6352 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic RJ-58 and Suburban parts
I saw someone who I thought did that at the PA Show, is that right guys? :confused1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
29 Jun 2015 19:19 #6354 by M Bailey
Replied by M Bailey on topic RJ-58 and Suburban parts
Jeff my Suburban steering wheel was pretty rough. My intention wasn't to do a faithful restoration but one I'd be comfortable with. Here's the thread... www.wheelhorsestables.com/index.php/foru...s/286-bed-liner-uses

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

• Geno
    Super Users
More
29 Jun 2015 19:44 #6355 by Geno
I forgot about that Major, it came out beautiful for not too many $. :goodjob

Welcome to the Stables!

More
01 Jul 2015 10:23 #6411 by motor12
Replied by motor12 on topic RJ-58 and Suburban parts
The steering wheel on my RJ58 was in bad shape, used two part epoxy and micro balloons to build up the missing chunks and to fill the cracks. its easy to do, just takes some elbow grease as there is lots of sanding. After painting it will look like new and not cost a fortune.

1958/model RJ58
1964/model 854

More
03 Jul 2015 21:03 - 04 Jul 2015 16:00 #6484 by FewMoreMiles
Motor I had a pretty decent one to start with, and likely could have used that technique, however I accidentally chipped off about three inches, all the way down to the metal ring. Looking to replace the thing with an aftermarket and be done with it I believe.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 16:00 by Geno.

More
04 Jul 2015 06:30 - 04 Jul 2015 16:00 #6494 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic RJ-58 and Suburban parts
Jake Kuhn is a member here and may know someone that can help you with parts....possible repo's....he is a very young man (early teens) but an awesome resource.

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 16:00 by Geno.

More
04 Jul 2015 14:49 - 04 Jul 2015 15:54 #6513 by GlenPettit
Replied by GlenPettit on topic RJ-58 and Suburban parts
Found that 'Boats' and later 'Golf Carts' often used the same steering wheels as used on our garden tractors, if you have a junk yard nearby.

Saw this recently on 'YouTube', found it very interesting on Steering Wheel Repair:

There are several dozen more videos on YouTube related to 'Steering Wheel repair'.
Michigan Glen
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 15:54 by Geno.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
04 Jul 2015 15:56 - 04 Jul 2015 16:09 #6516 by Geno
I'm not sure what you did with the video Glen, tried to change it but it didn't work. Easy way to add one is just copy the link and paste it right in the post, no buttons needed. :)

I also edited several posts mentioning things not working right and will be doing this from now on. If something isn't working right there are several threads where we can help fix these things instead of having comments scattered all over the forum. This makes things hard to find, and it can't help other people as they may not read the entire forum, not to mention finding it later. :)

I have made to many posts in to many areas myself and I am at fault as well. I will be rounding them all up and moving them all into Site Help where they belong. This will also help people in the future and new members as well.

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 16:09 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds