Turning Brake Collection / Differences

More
28 Jun 2015 17:31 - 29 Jun 2015 18:19 #6311 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
I assembled some of my turning brake parts that I have collected for a photo op! Some parts have been restored, others have not, and I inadvertently forgot to include the disc in the pictures. This is only part of my collection as I also have turning brake parts on my D-180.

Most are Wheel Horse; however, some are from a Cub Cadet. The parts from Wheel Horse are comprised of parts from an 18 Automatic { Turning Brake part # 8-1901} and "D"- Series. Even though there are differences in parts most should still be interchangeable, although it may require some modification. The Secondary Bracket from an 18 Automatic was beefier and wider than the one made for subsequent models, and the metal was thicker than those used on the Cub Cadets as well.
Notice the two on the right have thicker metal than the one on the left. Also note the ones from an 18 Auto did not have the little flat bar {or two} welded onto the bottom.

The 4 Shoulder bolts on the 18 Auto were 3/4" longer than those on the later systems, bottom right.

The long rod as well as the short rod remained the same but the medium rods were assembled with a footrest stop on the latter models. This is a picture of the early style rods.

The pedal pivot assembly on the latter models had a cut-away portion {to retain grease} at the points where the pedal attaches.

The pedals on the 18 Automatics had only one hole each; whereas, those on latter models had two holes each.

The brace assembly had an extra support bar welded to attach under the footrest, those on the 18's did not have this bar. The rubber material for the pads were different as well and followed the same material as what was on the footrest.

The latter brake mounting plates had a piece of angle welded to the upper side.

The early shafts were drilled to accommodate a 1/4" pin to secure the arm, while the later models used a 5/16" roll pin, this hole size change was the same for the arms, respectively. The two shaft bearings on the 18 Automatics were wider than those on the later models. The discs have a different part # for the 18 and latter models but I have no idea why. The 18 parts list only lists one size of spring anchor plates, while the latter models add two additional thicknesses to the parts list, presumably to be used on an as required basis dependent on the need.

The plate assembly with the pad has a different part # between the early and latter models but here again I do not know what the difference might be.

I will "STOP" right here. as I have already said more than I know about these, Mark.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 18:19 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: M Bailey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2015 07:26 #6329 by Trouty56
Holy Smokes!!! You do have a collection there....you are like the turning brake guy!!!!

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
29 Jun 2015 07:42 #6330 by nappypappy
Very nice...yes indeed........:smile2

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
29 Jun 2015 08:06 #6337 by Geno
Wow Mark, you are the turning brake guy. Where did you get all of that stuff? :10

Welcome to the Stables!

More
01 Jul 2015 16:10 #6426 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Geno, I started by buying some N.O.S. parts off Ebay, then I purchased some N.O.S. parts from Jordan (JDogCustoms.) I met a fellow that had a D-200 with a 24 H.P. Honda transplanted in it who was willing to sell me his 3 point hitch for $75.00 or $100.00 if he helped take it off. I accepted his help and he also included 50% of the parts for turning brakes , as that was all that remained on his tractor, and all of the P.T.O. Shaft except the pulley. I also bought some N.O.S. parts from a fellow on Redsquare, and then I bought some used parts on EBay. Finally my D-180 I bought came with Turning Brakes.

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
01 Jul 2015 16:40 #6428 by Geno
Do I need to make you a sign that says addicted to turning brakes? :rolling

Welcome to the Stables!

More
02 Jul 2015 05:15 #6437 by Trouty56
Pretty sure I saw a set of nice turning brakes (looked like still in the box) at the show for 300 buckeroos.....so you have some money sitting there..... funny how it seems to collect isn't it.....

Bob T

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
02 Jul 2015 06:09 #6440 by GT 14
Very nice collection!

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
02 Jul 2015 08:37 #6442 by motor12
That's the way I like to see a display. all neat and orderly. The amount of work shows. Great photos

1958/model RJ58
1964/model 854

More
02 Jul 2015 20:39 #6460 by Trouty56

motor12 wrote: That's the way I like to see a display. all neat and orderly. The amount of work shows. Great photos

Like!!!!

Bob T

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds