Mower Deck ID (Plus the Whole story, very long)

More
05 Aug 2015 10:33 #7502 by AJ WH Ranger
So Geno you knew this thread was gonna come up.

Last week Thursday I was tasked with mowing my sisters new lawn. (just bought a house) Well this lawn wasn't much of a lawn, more like a field. :doh

And here comes the list of problems.

1) the only Horse I have that will cut grass is my little 66 Lawn Ranger and thats only if the governor is disconnected. So you really have to watch your throttle adjustment and constantly adjust it. Not a good idea with grass and weeds almost taller than the little Lawn Ranger.
2) The only other tractor that runs like a champ is my C-100 plowing tractor. Nope, not taking that out there! :nono
3) the 72 Charger would be perfect right? , wrong again. Yes the engine and deck works great, but the motion control linkage is busted and the trans plate is just about busted off. Nope thats not gonna work either.. :beat
4) Ah yes the 81 C-105!! That engine runs like a top. Perfect! :nono Wrong again. That one was torn into about what felt like a million pieces. It is safe to say that it had and engine mounted on the frame, steering wheel and dash. Yup thats it. >(

So it was on. I went and got the tranny from my buddies house Friday at 5:00 pm because we were going to rebuild it there. Yeah that never happened. back to my house were it was going to get real, real fast. I dawned the dirtiest clothes I could find in an effort to put this 81 back together and get it mowing my sisters lawn the next day before the rain came on Sunday.

At about midnight I had something that looked like a 81 C-105.

I swore up and down to my brother in law that this engine was the best that I had and it would probably start up the first time. Of course you all know how that went. Yeah it didn't fire at all. :angry2 :angry2 :beat :sissy

However I had it all together and would roll around. At about 8 am the next morning my step dad arrived with the trailer to load it up and take it over. With it I had to load a deck that I personally have never touched or even seen work. ( I've got 2 42" SD decks that have sat in the back of my stable for about 2 years I would guess) So the better looking of the two went along with it.

Mind you Im doing all of this with a five year old constantly asking me to play and do a million thing for him too. He just didn't understand why it had to be done so fast.

After loading the tractor with its new deck I make breakfast for my little one and head out to my sisters after I took the dogs to the free dog wash at the local TSC. So then I start ripping into the carb because that is always the problem, luckily I had a spare rebuild kit. Rebuilt it and presto! Runs like a champ. And yes it is still the best engine I got.

Now onto the this mower deck thing, I have never installed a deck on one of these tractors so that was a new experience. Pretty simple I was surprised.

Prior to loading the deck I grabbed the belt that was sitting on the deck. Apparently that wasnt the correct one. Quick call to Geno (well some of you know there is never a quick call to Geno :rolling , just messing with you boss) and he got me the two possible belt sizes for the mower drive after researching and taking time out of his day to help . It's either a 98" or 103". So back into town I go. No store had a 103" so 98" is whats on it.

Finally got that belt on that I can guarantee is the wrong size. But I did end up get everything running and working and cutting grass that Saturday afternoon.

So I am now gathering all the parts to rebuild this deck cause to tell you the truth it doesn't sound very good but it does cut fields down. But the problem is I have no idea where this deck came from or what year it is. No tag nothing.

Is there some things like our beloved tractors that give away some clues onto what year it is if I get you some pictures?

Sorry for the super long post but I thought this needed the whole story :yes

AJ
Bassin' and Horsin' around!

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
The following user(s) said Thank You: M Bailey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
05 Aug 2015 10:38 #7503 by Geno
Sounds like one of my mornings. :doh

You know the drill, where's the pics? :rolling

Welcome to the Stables!

More
05 Aug 2015 10:55 #7504 by M Bailey
AJ, that sounds like a typical day around my place :rolling2 We need to get that techy governor issue straightened out for you. Post up some pics of the deck and I'm sure we can help you out with that.

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

More
05 Aug 2015 11:25 #7505 by M Bailey
AJ, see if these pics of the 654 H60 look anything like your hookup for the throttle and governor

The placement and size of that little throttle spring is crucial to the governor working properly....

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ WH Ranger

More
05 Aug 2015 11:43 #7506 by AJ WH Ranger
Yes it looks exactly like that.. Well kind of.

The components look the exact same but it was definitley not setup that way! You may have very well fixed that problem! :yay

We will talk more about that spring...

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood

More
05 Aug 2015 13:25 #7508 by AJ WH Ranger

Geno wrote: Sounds like one of my mornings. :doh

You know the drill, where's the pics? :rolling

I'm going back out there today so I will snap some pics.

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood

More
06 Aug 2015 07:54 #7525 by AJ WH Ranger
Dang it!!

I was out there all night last night and forgot to snap pics of the deck! ::angry2

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
06 Aug 2015 07:56 #7526 by Geno
You must be getting old. :rolling3

Welcome to the Stables!

More
06 Aug 2015 10:43 #7530 by GT 14

Geno wrote: You must be getting old. :rolling3

Yea if he isn't getting old that's a bigger problem! :rolling4 :rolling :rolling2

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
06 Aug 2015 13:23 #7536 by AJ WH Ranger
Here are some pics..

Sorry they aren't very good but this what you are stuck with when you ask your sister to take pictures for you :angry2 :rolling

AJ

66 Lawn Ranger
68 Lawn Ranger
72 Charger 10 auto
74 C-100 8-Speed
81 C-101 Blackhood
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds