• Geno
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
10 Jun 2021 18:52 #17066 by Geno
I couldn't find a place for posts like this so this is a brand new section for stuff that doesn't fit into the other categories in the Tools + Equip section. :thumb1

The forklift generator went south so the fun started in trying to get a basic old GM alternator on it. It was way past time for the old Prestolite and regulator to go and I want something common on there with a lifetime warranty on it. It wont fit down where the other one was so it has to be moved up a little above the steering pump, more fun lol. :tounge2

The coil is getting changed to do away with the ballast resistor and it's getting rewired to get rid of the mess back there. The ammeter is also going away and will be changed to a volt gauge instead. :thumb

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
11 Jun 2021 18:56 #17067 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Forklift Alternator + Rewire
The alternator is on and everything is working good. It's a 1 wire self energizing GM alternator made for tractors so the only wire it needs is one from the charging post to the battery, when it hits a certain rpm it kicks in automatically. The ballast resistor is bypassed and the new volt gauge is also in and working. :thumb

On another note... I started checking and disconnecting wires that were no longer needed because it no longer has a generator + regulator system, and there are some heavy wires that went from the starter solenoid bat post to the front and through the ammeter for that gauge that were no longer needed. Then I got digging around and there are wires all over that are just taped up going to nothing, wires spliced to other wires and taped up, empty spots in the old glass fuse block with wires on both sides of the fuse holder that used to do something, and a lot of wires coming off of the ignition switch that do or used to do who knows what.. I was getting ready to make an even larger mess on top of the mess that is already there. :doh

I depend on this thing being ready most of the day every day, sooooo, tomorrow I'm pulling the floor pan to get a better look at what's going on. What it really needs with all of the changes made over the years to a 49 year old forklift (1972 model) it should be totally updated and rewired. I'm thinking the alternative is something will go wrong when I really need it...  :nono

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2021 11:30 #17072 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic Forklift Alternator + Rewire
I like the one wires, but Delco makes crap Alternators. :2cents :goodjob

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
15 Jun 2021 18:55 - 19 Mar 2022 17:55 #17073 by Geno
I always had good luck out of them, as long as they are the Duralast Professional or Gold lines, never had any luck from anyone elses.

I thought I would make it fancy and got out a waterproof fuse + relay block and a grounding buss bar this morning (1st pic), then I thought that's kinda crazy and extremely time consuming for just 2 relays so I got out a small 6 fuse marine block with a grounding block and am using it with a single Delphi waterproof fuse holder kit at the rear for the main feed. Wiring takes too long the way I do it as it is lol. :laughing

There's not much wiring in the rear now and it's simplified a lot more than it was, with all the extra parts and brackets removed it looks bare in the back compared to what it was. I hoped to get it done today but there were too many interruptions so maybe I can wrap it up tomorrow and get my butt back to work. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 19 Mar 2022 17:55 by Geno.

More
16 Jun 2021 08:44 #17075 by nappypappy

Geno wrote: I always had good luck out of them, as long as they are the Duralast Professional or Gold lines, never had any luck from anyone elses.

I thought I would make it fancy and got out a waterproof fuse + relay block and a grounding buss bar this morning (1st pic), then I thought that's kinda crazy and extremely time consuming for just 2 relays so I got out a small 6 fuse marine block with a grounding block and am using it with a single Delphi waterproof fuse holder kit at the rear for the main feed. Wiring takes too long the way I do it as it is lol. :laughing

There's not much wiring in the rear now and it's simplified a lot more than it was, with all the extra parts and brackets removed it looks bare in the back compared to what it was. I hoped to get it done today but there were too many interruptions so maybe I can wrap it up tomorrow and get my butt back to work. :tounge2

Great job but where is the USB port and GPS oh and satellite radio where oh where...you have to keep up with the times even on a forklift.......:2cents :cof3 :smile2 :10 :sorry :computer :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
16 Jun 2021 10:10 #17076 by Geno
Don't get me started Nappy, I have all the stuff here to do that with but need to refrain... :rolling3

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Jun 2021 09:25 #17077 by Geno
The little Wheel Horse lift is back up and running. :woo

I could do a little more touch up with the covering in the front but I gotta get back to work. :tounge2

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
17 Jun 2021 09:26 #17078 by Geno
Here's a before and after of what really needed redoing. :thumb1