Don't forget Sta-Bil in your gas

More
18 Sep 2017 09:14 #14006 by motor12
I usually start my RJ58 AND 854 every month or two just to splash the oil around and run some new gas in the tank and carb. Well this time it was a bit longer. The 854 started and run trouble free but the RJ started hard and ran real rough. I pulled the carb and took it apart and the bowl had gas residue and some other junk stuck to the bottom. I also found more residue on the needle valves. Cleaned everything up put it back together and the RJ started right up and ran like a top. I had not been using Sta-Bil in the gas but I do now.

1958/model RJ58
1964/model 854

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2017 05:37 #14007 by nappypappy

motor12 wrote: I usually start my RJ58 AND 854 every month or two just to splash the oil around and run some new gas in the tank and carb. Well this time it was a bit longer. The 854 started and run trouble free but the RJ started hard and ran real rough. I pulled the carb and took it apart and the bowl had gas residue and some other junk stuck to the bottom. I also found more residue on the needle valves. Cleaned everything up put it back together and the RJ started right up and ran like a top. I had not been using Sta-Bil in the gas but I do now.

Yeah that's a good idea if you don't use them much....mine runs all year and almost every time I open the garage since its taking up most of the room in there....
mine does have a miss and I have changed plug points and air filter and cleaned the carb but its been that way for years and still does what is needed of it ..
So maybe it needs a rebuild but I just don't know......its a 85 and got several many many hours on it but doesn't smoke but a puff here and there sometimes...
any advice would be great.............:cof3 :smile2 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GlenPettit

More
19 Sep 2017 12:37 #14008 by GT 14
All my small engines get ethanol free fuel. I buy 15 gal. at a time and put sta-bil and marvel mystery oil in right away.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds