18 Automatic Tool Box

More
07 Apr 2016 23:31 #11086 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Called the chrome shop to have them hold the cover, as I would be in to pick it up, because I had thought that it was too deep {front to back.} Turns out after test fitting the half of the hinge that mounts to the cover, it was the perfect fit without trimming. I have cut some spacers from a second pair of hinges in order to mount these at the correct level for clearance purposes. The cover and hinge halves are at the welders, should be finished tomorrow. I hope to get pics before taking back to the chrome shop. Not much of an update but just wanted to post this bit of progress.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
08 Apr 2016 07:39 #11088 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
Can't wait to see it. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
11 Apr 2016 17:30 #11121 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE

Geno wrote: Can't wait to see it. :thumb1

Picked up the cover from the welder, a bit disappointed with the results. I may have had my expectations set too high, but the work just looked very unprofessional. There were spatter balls on the cosmetic side of the hinges, as well as, scratch marks from grinding, not to mention the craters in the welds. I realize the copper will fill some slight imperfections, especially if multiple applications are done, but this seemed irreparable. As a last resort I removed the hinge halves and took a couple halves from another pair of hinges to a professional welder. He suggested to have the sides and front of the hinges welded, leaving the holes open. I was hoping to have him drill out the holes and clamp a brass piece on top then weld from the bottom, he said this would leave craters and that he would still have to come back and weld the tops. I just told him to do whatever he thinks would look the best. I hope it turns out very presentable. Pics are of the first welders attempt.
Attachments:

• Geno
    Super Users
More
11 Apr 2016 17:51 #11122 by Geno
It's ashamed to say but a lot of welders cant do pretty. Filling holes is easy, you start on the outside and make the circle going slow enough to not leave any pockets. The spatter is stopped by laying some old scrap pieces around where you're working, but that takes time and that's also why most welders can't do pretty... :doh

If they can lay something around the next one to stop the spatter and it still looks rough a quick easy fix is to fill it with a brass braising rod. Personally I put things like this on the backside to improve the looks because no matter what you'll have some grinding marks if you don't use some type of filler.

You can also forget the welders and put a reinforcement plate on the bottom and use bolts. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
15 Apr 2016 22:06 #11176 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Took the cover to a professional welder, and asked if he could cover the top with brass and weld through the bottom; after drilling out the screw holes. He said it would still require filling the top with weld and grinding. So he then suggested welding around the sides and front of the hinges. I said I'll leave it up to you, told him to just do whatever he thought would look good. I picked it up and he had welded the screw holes from the top to the spacer plates, which was a very nice job, BTW, however, the heat required to weld the stainless was a bit more than the hinges could withstand and caused them to warp. I did manage to hammer down the one to look more presentable , but the other was just too stubborn to relent so I gave up and took the cover back to the chrome shop with the 2 hinge back halves. I have an idea on how to sort out the recessed areas in the screw holes but I am saving that till after it gets chromed. The pics are before the warp removal attempt.

More
16 Apr 2016 01:07 #11177 by nappypappy
Replied by nappypappy on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
they look good to me....................................:smile2 :bacon0

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
16 Apr 2016 07:46 #11181 by Geno
Looks like you found a good welder. I think it will look good on the tractor when it's done. I see you have some OCD like me lol. :rolling

If you decide to try the 3rd times a charm option a few things could fix the warping. Either a slight lip on the hinge area made with a brake for strength, a reinforcement on the bottom near the edge, stainless hinges, or a boxed style lid. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
16 Apr 2016 17:21 #11183 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
Dang nice welding in those screw holes.....looks like he poured it in.....

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
18 Jul 2016 20:37 #12069 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
FINALLY... well not quite, I did get over to the chrome shop to pick up the parts that they promised {on Friday} would be done today. They were not all ready,.but I was able to see the chomed toolbox cover. It needs a rework. The pics do not do the looks any justice because the warehouse that I took them in was poorly lighted.
Attachments:

• Geno
    Super Users
More
18 Jul 2016 20:59 #12070 by Geno
What needs a rework? Looks pretty good from here lol.

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.660 seconds