18 Automatic Tool Box

More
22 Mar 2016 07:01 #10904 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
I have started to make a tool box for my 18 Automatic resto-mod. I basically am using rear channels for the front and rear {1 each} and left and right sides {1/2 each} then I bought sheet metal for the bottom plate and the hinge attachment strip. I also had the sheet metal shop cut and bend a cover {they quoted welding the corners but they did not do it.} I simply took it to a welder to have the corners welded, then I sanded them to where they look very presentable. I drilled a hole for a N.O.S. grill knob which I will be using on the cover. I also have holes drilled for the buckle latches. The buckles and latches are from the tins for a Kohler K482 engine that is 43 years old and were pitted pretty bad from rust, so consequently after sanding close to a smooth finish they are thin. I hope there is still enough to get a good weld from the inside of the cover. I have purchased a pair of self closing hinges that I plan on using in reverse, meaning make the cover self opening after unlatching the buckles. One other note about these style hinges, is the stay open catch option. I have not got this all sorted out yet, but I have thought it through far enough to realize that the gas tank will need elevated in order to tuck a portion of the tool box under it. I may also add the elongated "U" shaped seat springs to elevate the seat to allow more clearance, for the gas tank. This is as far as I have proceeded at this time.

P.S. the cover will be finished not bare metal as pictured.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
22 Mar 2016 07:43 #10906 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
That is just super cool, can't wait to see it on there! :goodjob

Welcome to the Stables!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23 AUTOMATIC LSE

More
22 Mar 2016 08:00 #10907 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks Geno, I think so too, if it turns out as nice as I hope it will. I also am considering adding edge trim {like that on the sides of the gas tank and hood to the cover if I have enough hangover clearance.

More
22 Mar 2016 16:50 #10917 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
Very nice!

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
22 Mar 2016 18:21 #10918 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks GT14, I just took the cover to get the latches welded, I hope he understood exactly what I want done. I asked that he weld from the inside of the cover, and keep them at the same level. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

More
22 Mar 2016 21:42 #10919 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
You get a big LIKE from me!!!!

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
23 Mar 2016 09:51 #10924 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks Trouty I took pics of the buckles and hinges.
Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2016 11:15 #10925 by GT 14
Replied by GT 14 on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
I have some hinges like that with the springs built in, they are great.

1969 GT-18
1978 C-101
1983 C-225

More
23 Mar 2016 21:29 #10931 by Trouty56
Replied by Trouty56 on topic 18 Automatic Tool Box
You do crazy meticulous work....not a bad thing for sure.....a compliment.....

Bob T
Adams County Pennsyltucky

"One, that's easy to remember. It's the first number in the alphabet...." - Barney Fife

More
25 Mar 2016 00:16 #10942 by 23 AUTOMATIC LSE
Thanks Bob, I just picked up the cover from the welder, one latch was perfect, the other was slightly off level looking and the weld bled through the otherside. I filed it to compensate the unlevel top, then filed the bleed through weld down a bit. Looks better, but not quite as nice as the latch on the otherside. Maybe after the cover gets the finish on and I add the edge trim it won't be very noticeable. Moving onto the hinges, I am trying to sort out the placement via one of the following methods: 1.) Both hinge halves above 2.) Hinge half above toolbox, but below cover. 3.) Both hinge halves below. One concern that comes to mind is, what best way to keep it water proof. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds