Lift bar hitting the center spindle on 48" deck.

More
02 Jun 2015 17:05 #5196 by Kurt-NEPA
I was so successful rebuilding the spindles on my 48" SD deck that I knew something had go wrong (Geno, you were right, it went too easy). I had the deck running nicely on my 93 520H, but that tractor is a basket case. It needs some engine work and lots of paint and TLC, not to mention rear axle work..

So I decided to move the deck to my 88 520H that is running and looking decent. I had a 42"RD on it that I never liked. Anyway, I swapped the decks and started the engine. Everything sounded OK until I used the hydraulics to lift the deck, that's when the sparks started to fly. I dropped the lift and tried to mow a bit just to test it. Then I took a close look, The grease zerk on the center spindle is gone and the treads on the top of spindle shaft are bozo'd. The lift bar was hitting the center spindle. Something is clearly not right here.

I'm going to dis-mount the deck tomorrow and take a close look. I almost looks like the lift bar is dropping down dead center over the spindle and not off to the side like I would expect. Not sure what to do from here. I looked at the lift bar on my 93 and its centered too and but looks like its been ground down a bit on the bottom. I might try that. Maybe, I've got some wrong parts causing problems. I've had that happen way too many times on old tractors. My gut feeling is that something is wrong with lift linkage parts. They seem too close to the deck. I had problems getting the belt on.

I wish my manuals were clearer. Any thoughts anyone. :confused2

Pardon my rant.

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2015 18:52 #5199 by nappypappy

Kurt-NEPA wrote: I was so successful rebuilding the spindles on my 48" SD deck that I knew something had go wrong (Geno, you were right, it went too easy). I had the deck running nicely on my 93 520H, but that tractor is a basket case. It needs some engine work and lots of paint and TLC, not to mention rear axle work..

So I decided to move the deck to my 88 520H that is running and looking decent. I had a 42"RD on it that I never liked. Anyway, I swapped the decks and started the engine. Everything sounded OK until I used the hydraulics to lift the deck, that's when the sparks started to fly. I dropped the lift and tried to mow a bit just to test it. Then I took a close look, The grease zerk on the center spindle is gone and the treads on the top of spindle shaft are bozo'd. The lift bar was hitting the center spindle. Something is clearly not right here.

I'm going to dis-mount the deck tomorrow and take a close look. I almost looks like the lift bar is dropping down dead center over the spindle and not off to the side like I would expect. Not sure what to do from here. I looked at the lift bar on my 93 and its centered too and but looks like its been ground down a bit on the bottom. I might try that. Maybe, I've got some wrong parts causing problems. I've had that happen way too many times on old tractors. My gut feeling is that something is wrong with lift linkage parts. They seem too close to the deck. I had problems getting the belt on.

I wish my manuals were clearer. Any thoughts anyone. :confused2

Pardon my rant.

Sorry but all I can think of is you need a front mount....end of that problem.... :smile2

1985 416-8
520-H
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't see the forest for the trees.

More
02 Jun 2015 19:02 #5201 by Kurt-NEPA
Thanks Nappy. I'm think it something like that. So many parts on this are not original. One or more of them is probably not right.

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
02 Jun 2015 19:35 #5204 by Geno
Those grease fittings are usually deathly close and sit off to the left side of the lift bar. Is the deck in the tach-a-matic bracket perfectly?

Welcome to the Stables!

More
02 Jun 2015 20:23 #5206 by Kurt-NEPA
I'll check that Geno. This whole system is so badly worn that anything is possible. It seems to me as if the lift bar was about 1" out of the slot on the support structure (or what ever you call it). That seem excessive and maybe that is the whole problem. I had trouble getting the mid hitch closed, so maybe you are on to something. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

More
03 Jun 2015 08:22 #5220 by M Bailey
Kurt I'd take a close look at the tach-a-matic and make sure the carriage is seated properly and the hitch shaft fork (item 1) is engaged in the bar. After that check the carriage mounts and make sure they haven't shifted (items 15-17). Next check the transport stops (19) on each side and raise them up, this might be part of the problem if they are set too low.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Major

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2015 08:50 #5221 by Kurt-NEPA
Thanks Major, I'll check that out. It seems to me as if 19 is much too close to the spindle. As the lift bar moves up and down, it shifts fore and aft. During lift it is moving forward into the spindle.

I'll keep you posted.

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

More
03 Jun 2015 11:00 #5232 by Kurt-NEPA

M Bailey wrote: Kurt I'd take a close look at the tach-a-matic and make sure the carriage is seated properly and the hitch shaft fork (item 1) is engaged in the bar. After that check the carriage mounts and make sure they haven't shifted (items 15-17). Next check the transport stops (19) on each side and raise them up, this might be part of the problem if they are set too low.

Well, I pulled the deck and checked things out.

Here is the problem
[IMG

1. The spindle shaft is toast - the grease zerk went off sideways and wallered out the threaded hole. I think I could fix it, but the spindle is just not that expensive, so I'll order one..
2. The carriage was seated in the tach-a-matic as it should be. Nice and tight
3. The carriage mounts (15-17) are tight and where they belong.
4. The transport locks were in the full down position (or is that full up). The bolts were all the way down.

My plan - raise the transport lock bolts to the top. Grind a bit off the bottom of the lift bar. We'll see what happens. I'll order a new spindle and replace that later.

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

• Geno
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
03 Jun 2015 11:57 #5233 by Geno
The arm should be a little to the right, putting the grease fitting to the left of the bar. It will still be really close. For what you are trying to fix, the deck needs to go toward the left or the arm needs to go toward the right.

The carriage stops will only affect the raised height of the rear wheels when the deck is raised, they should always be adjusted all the way up, in almost every case that is still not enough.

Here are some pics of one in the shop.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2015 12:08 #5236 by Kurt-NEPA
Wow Geno!, thanks for the pictures. I think you nailed it. My rod is almost centered on the spindle. I tried to move it to the right and it won't budge more than about 1/8".

I just ground the end of the lift bar down about 1/8" and now it clearing the spindle, but not by much. Maybe 1/16" At least I've got a mower.

I replaced that lift bar several years ago. When I bought the tractor it was broken. I wonder if I got the wrong one, or if I got it installed wrong. As I remember (and that's tough on this old bald and gray head) that rod can only go in one way. Looks like I have more work to do.

Thanks,

1988 520H
1995 520H
1998 520xi
2000 522xi
1950 Ford 8N
1955 Ford 660
Single Stage Blower
2-Two Stage Blowers

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds