Balance gears (?)

More
07 Sep 2015 20:53 #8178 by kudzu
Balance gears (?) was created by kudzu
I'm in the midst of a Kohler 301 rebuild and have been advised to remove the balance gears to possibly prevent future damage. I don't know much about this, so would like opinions from more experienced folks. Thanks

JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY WROTE IT, DON'T MAKE IT RIGHT.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
07 Sep 2015 22:30 #8181 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Balance gears (?)
They should be pulled and checked, the balance gears were problematic on those. The service manual from Kohler does mention a updated version of them. If everything looks good, you could just leave it alone. :)

The pulling guys and lots of others pull them out completely. If you have a machine shop that can balance the crank, rod + piston, I would go that route and take the balance gears out completely. That is what Kohler should have done, but then they would have lasted forever... :thumb

Welcome to the Stables!

More
08 Sep 2015 09:32 #8190 by kudzu
Replied by kudzu on topic Balance gears (?)
Thanks Gene. The gears seem to be in excellent, new condition, so may just do as you say and leave them alone. If I do decide to remove them, will I feel more vibration from the running engine? This tractor will not be used for work, it is only a cruiser, if that matters. Thanks.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 Sep 2015 09:37 #8191 by Geno
Have you had them out to check the bearings?

Welcome to the Stables!

More
08 Sep 2015 09:52 #8192 by kudzu
No, I guess I need to do that, thanks.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 Sep 2015 10:40 #8193 by Geno
For sure. If there is a problem it will be where you can't see. :)

Welcome to the Stables!

More
08 Sep 2015 13:20 #8196 by kudzu
Got them off easy enough, everything looks and feels fine...but...there was a lot of aluminum shavings in there from the broken rod, which is why I'm rebuilding. I suppose they could have caused some problem if I hadn't got them out of there, so I'm certainly glad you advised me to remove the gears. I'm leaning toward just putting them back and leaving them alone. Opinions are appreciated, thanks.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 Sep 2015 14:00 #8197 by Geno
If the engine has debris in it that engine should be completely disassembled and hot tanked, or cleaned until you go crazy. :laughing

The bearings will need a lot of cleaning and blowing air in them to make sure nothing is left in there at all. If you don't think you can get something completely clean then it should be replaced. In the case of bearings, just try not to use anything made in China...

Welcome to the Stables!

More
08 Sep 2015 17:33 #8199 by kudzu
Yea, I have it completely apart, now that the balance gears are out. Can't find any sign of anything being in any of the bearings but will clean them good and blow them out good. There was some loose shavings in block but rinsed out nicely with a little gunk. Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a hot tank?

• Geno
    Super Users
More
08 Sep 2015 18:40 #8200 by Geno
They have them in machine shops, it's the term they use for their parts cleaner. Most of them look like a huge dishwasher full of nozzles and a heavy rotating center piece that the parts are wired to. The local one here is about 7' tall. :)

Here's a description off of a machine shop page. "The hot tank is designed to steam clean the engine head, engine, block, and the internal moving components of the engine. The hot tank reaches very high temperatures, over a few hundred degrees. The combination of extreme heat and the mixture of cleaning solvents and solutions blast the dirt and gunk out and off your engine. Our cleaning services will revive old and tired engines by making them like new again."

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 1.201 seconds